cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bill

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Medical Bill

I have a dilemma.

 

Currently I have a Clean TU, and a 30 Day late on EX and EQ from 02/2014.

 

I have two medical bill that my primairy insurance paid on, then my secondary paid on and the the rest was supposed to have been written off due to coordination of benefits.   However the Hospital says I owe $4.99 on one bill and $2,300 on the other.   I am disputing the amount due with the hospital and my secondary insurance has sent them documentation as well.   Waiting for an update.

 

My dilemma is that the $4.99 bill will be going to collections soon if not paid.   I could pay it, but am I setting the precident that I legitmatlly owe by paying it.    I don't want a new collection when I am only a year and a half away from all clean reports, but I don't want to pay money I don't owe either. 


FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores




Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Medical Bill

You will need to send them a copy of your explanation of benefits that indicate you are not responsible for said charges. If you dont have this then you are likely on the hook for it.
"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Bill


@gdale6 wrote:
You will need to send them a copy of your explanation of benefits that indicate you are not responsible for said charges. If you dont have this then you are likely on the hook for it.

I already sent them my copy of the EOB and secondary sent them a copy as well.  The EOB clearly states Patient Responsibility is $0, however they are still telling me I owe the balance. 


FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores




Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Medical Bill

One caveat to all this is that only primary insurance is regulated via contract.

No provider is obligated to bill secondary insurance unless it's Medicare (MSP 1-7) or  Medicaid. If secondary commercial insurance billed, it's referred to as "courtesy billing" 

 

Most providers will bill secondary because good luck collecting from the patient, but some may not. 

 

If the hospital (or any provider) is not contracted with secondary, they can bill the difference between pt. responsibility and *usual and customary* charges. If they are contracted with both primary and secondary, they have to perform write off only if billing occurred.  

If you submitted your own bill, they are not bound by it, unfortunately. 

 

Did primary insurance do a claim crossover, manual billing or did you submit your own claim to secondary insurance?

Is secondary insurance contracted with the hospital and/or outside services? 

 

Also, if claim was split in technical and professional components (radiology, gastroenterology and cardiology almost always do), one may get paid and the other one may not because same service would be split between two entities who may not have identical contracts

 

As an example, if you get a CT in a hospital, scan itself is technical component and will fall under hospital contract.

Reading the images may be done by an outside radiologist, that's professional component, and they may or may not be contracted. 

 

So, as you can see, lots of variables in play Smiley Frustrated

 

In a nutshell...are both insurances contracted and how was secondary billed? 

I told my teens yesterday I'm done repeating myself. Darwin, take the wheel, please.
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Bill


@Remedios wrote:

One caveat to all this is that only primary insurance is regulated via contract.

No provider is obligated to bill secondary insurance unless it's Medicare (MSP 1-7) or  Medicaid. If secondary commercial insurance billed, it's referred to as "courtesy billing" 

 

Most providers will bill secondary because good luck collecting from the patient, but some may not. 

 

If the hospital (or any provider) is not contracted with secondary, they can bill the difference between pt. responsibility and *usual and customary* charges. If they are contracted with both primary and secondary, they have to perform write off only if billing occurred.  

If you submitted your own bill, they are not bound by it, unfortunately. 

 

Did primary insurance do a claim crossover, manual billing or did you submit your own claim to secondary insurance?

Is secondary insurance contracted with the hospital and/or outside services? 

 

Also, if claim was split in technical and professional components (radiology, gastroenterology and cardiology almost always do), one may get paid and the other one may not because same service would be split between two entities who may not have identical contracts

 

As an example, if you get a CT in a hospital, scan itself is technical component and will fall under hospital contract.

Reading the images may be done by an outside radiologist, that's professional component, and they may or may not be contracted. 

 

So, as you can see, lots of variables in play Smiley Frustrated

 

In a nutshell...are both insurances contracted and how was secondary billed? 


Both Insruances are In Network for the Health System, one bill is Doctory Visit, the other is ER and both are billed by the Health System directly to both insurance companies. 

 

I have never had this issue with them in the past, but this year it seems to be a mess. The issue seems to be that my primary insurance has a lower contracted cost, and secondary is only paying upto that lower cost.  The Health System is trying to bill me for the difference even though it exceeds the contracted cost with my primary insurance. 


FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores




Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Medical Bill


@MakingProgress wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

One caveat to all this is that only primary insurance is regulated via contract.

No provider is obligated to bill secondary insurance unless it's Medicare (MSP 1-7) or  Medicaid. If secondary commercial insurance billed, it's referred to as "courtesy billing" 

 

Most providers will bill secondary because good luck collecting from the patient, but some may not. 

 

If the hospital (or any provider) is not contracted with secondary, they can bill the difference between pt. responsibility and *usual and customary* charges. If they are contracted with both primary and secondary, they have to perform write off only if billing occurred.  

If you submitted your own bill, they are not bound by it, unfortunately. 

 

Did primary insurance do a claim crossover, manual billing or did you submit your own claim to secondary insurance?

Is secondary insurance contracted with the hospital and/or outside services? 

 

Also, if claim was split in technical and professional components (radiology, gastroenterology and cardiology almost always do), one may get paid and the other one may not because same service would be split between two entities who may not have identical contracts

 

As an example, if you get a CT in a hospital, scan itself is technical component and will fall under hospital contract.

Reading the images may be done by an outside radiologist, that's professional component, and they may or may not be contracted. 

 

So, as you can see, lots of variables in play Smiley Frustrated

 

In a nutshell...are both insurances contracted and how was secondary billed? 


Both Insruances are In Network for the Health System, one bill is Doctory Visit, the other is ER and both are billed by the Health System directly to both insurance companies. 

 

I have never had this issue with them in the past, but this year it seems to be a mess. The issue seems to be that my primary insurance has a lower contracted cost, and secondary is only paying upto that lower cost.  The Health System is trying to bill me for the difference even though it exceeds the contracted cost with my primary insurance. 


That should be a write off. If you have EOBs from both insurances, they can only bill up to what secondary shows as pt. responsibility (if any). Primary insurance rates are no longer in play,  because they accepted payment and, by proxy, adjudication from primary insurance. 

The only way they can bill you for the difference is if they refund entire payment by the secondary insurance, then bill you entire left over  amount, which they certainly wont do. 

 

I would get secondary insurance involved. Most of them will make a three way call and talk to hospital (or whomever) is billing you. 

 

I told my teens yesterday I'm done repeating myself. Darwin, take the wheel, please.
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Legendary Contributor

Re: Medical Bill

Even if a collection is reported while the matter is being sorted out, IF the debt is ultimately paid via insurance, the collection will be removed.

 

Under a recent consent order resulting from litigation brought by the offices of the AG of several states, the CRAs have agreed to remove any collection reported  on a medical debt if it is shown that the debt was ultimately paid via insurance.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Bill - UPDATE


@MakingProgress wrote:

I have a dilemma.

 

Currently I have a Clean TU, and a 30 Day late on EX and EQ from 02/2014.

 

I have two medical bill that my primairy insurance paid on, then my secondary paid on and the the rest was supposed to have been written off due to coordination of benefits.   However the Hospital says I owe $4.99 on one bill and $2,300 on the other.   I am disputing the amount due with the hospital and my secondary insurance has sent them documentation as well.   Waiting for an update.

 

My dilemma is that the $4.99 bill will be going to collections soon if not paid.   I could pay it, but am I setting the precident that I legitmatlly owe by paying it.    I don't want a new collection when I am only a year and a half away from all clean reports, but I don't want to pay money I don't owe either. 



Spent the morning on the phone with the hospital billing and my health insruance.   I really didn't get anywhere, hospital says I owe, insurance says I don't.

 

I called the hospital and asked for a Patient Advocate, she transfered me to the Billing Manager at the Hospital instead of at the 3rd party service they use.   The billing manager was able to take care of the $4.99 bill, and she got the other reduced to $388.30 simply by looking at the information available in their system.  She also gave me her direct number and the direct number of a Billing Specialist at the Hospital in case I have anymore issues with the 3rd party billing department.   She was not happy that they hadn't done exactly what she did, and told me there was no reason  they couldn't/shouldn't have done that.

 

I will be having my secondary insurance call her directly to discuss the remaining balance.   I am hopeful with that phone call everything can be settled. 


FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores




Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Bill

After asking my health insurance to call the billing manager at the hospital I now owe $0 for both of the bills in question and don't have to worry about a new collections account. 

 


FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores




Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Medical Bill


@MakingProgress wrote:

After asking my health insurance to call the billing manager at the hospital I now owe $0 for both of the bills in question and don't have to worry about a new collections account. 

 


This is outstanding!  Congrats on getting that handled.  I bet you feel tons better!




"Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash".
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.