Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Hell - Advice Needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection Hell - Advice Needed

Hello Everyone:

I am working on rebuilding (started 10/18) my credit profile that has been horrendous for the past 30 years.  So far I have been approved for several credit cards (BOFA $500/USAA $500/Pel State CU $1000/Belk MC $1000/ Amex ED $2000).  I attempted to do a self lender to establish aninstallment loan but their site would not recognize my address. I will probably go to the credit union and do a share draft secured loan. 

My scores are: EX 720 - EQ 631- TU 625  (My medical collections show up on EQ and TU not on Experian). As you see they are dragging me down so I want to address them right away.

I have four medical collections in the amount of $105/$596/$226/$424. I attempted to pay the $424 to the original creditor but they said they could not find the account in their system.  I contacted the original credit on the $596 and $105 and they will take the two payments. All four of these are with the same collection agency (CBS).  I can pay all of these immediately but paid collections still impact my score.  My issue is should I pay the original creditor who will accept two of the payments and ask them to delete them or should I pay the collection agency and ask them to delete for payment as it would clear up four of their accounts?

My main concern is to get them off the bureau reports and not have four collections reporting 0 balances.  Any ideas, suggestions or feedback will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Medical Collection Hell - Advice Needed

The accounts that they cant find is probably due to they were paid by the collection agency. And they own the debt now. The ones they can see they havent been sold yet to an agency yet. Pay the OC and they could recall the debt. PFD is easier on medical collections. Respond to the CA and ask for a PFD.

@gdale6 the Forums Mod has a perfect set of instructions on how to handle med colletions. He'll be by and see this. I wont copy and patse his instructions. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your response.  I am looking forward to seeing the instructions for med collections and hope @gdale6 sees this post.

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection Hell - Advice Needed UPDATE

Thanks for advice.

I was able to contact the original creditor on two of the collections and paid them today.  The rep said she would recall the accounts.  The good thing about this is that she used to work for the collection agency who has all four accounts.  The agency was owned by her father.  It is now closed so she said I should dispute the other two and the bureaus will not be able to receive any response so they should be deleted by the bureau.  This situation might turn out ok BUT the two collections left I actually owe and the original creditors don't have the info they say.  I just don't want the last two to pop back up later and bite me in the rear. I don't mind paying since they are legitimate charges but I don't know how to do this at this point.

I will report back when the collections are actually removed.  Any advice on the remaining two collections and how to proceed with the closed CA after filing a dispute is appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection Hell - Advice Needed UPDATE

Google, "tough nickel medical collections." She outlines a solid plan.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.