Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection Help!

tag
mrshulkisloislane
New Contributor

Medical Collection Help!

I contacted the company  listed as the original creditor for a collection account appearing on my credit report and they informed me that the debt is actually from the hospital and directed me to a different collection agency for "detail" on the account. When I phoned that agency the rep. told me that she did not have that particular account however she had several others and proceeded to rattle off in detail to me the specific alleged procedures. I assumed this was their validating the debt. I read information here in the forum that leads me to believe they weren't supposed to provide those details is that correct?

Also this same collection account was previously reported on all 3 bureaus.  I disputed it through the bureaus and they "verified" it and it remained for about 1 day and then it was removed.  It remained away for a few months and has re appeared, same collector, same dofd, same $ amount.  I spoke with someone at Experian about this and he informed me that it appears they re inserted the same account but changed the account # so as to make it appear to be different.  He stated that they cannot simply re insert once it has been removed with the same information so that is likely why they added with a different account #.    Should I re open another dispute with the bureau or send DV to the collection company and mention the fact that it appears they have re-inserted the same debt with a different account #?

10/17 453-TU, 511-EQ, 544-EX
01/18 560-TU, 574-EQ, 542-EX
04/18 629-TU, 650-EQ, 617-EX 1st goal 600's across the board *goal met 04/1/18
next goal 680's across the board*goal met 09/08/18
10/03/18 718-TU, 727-EQ, 715-EX next goal 750's
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Collection Help!

@mrshulkisloislane wrote:

I contacted the company  listed as the original creditor for a collection account appearing on my credit report and they informed me that the debt is actually from the hospital and directed me to a different collection agency for "detail" on the account. When I phoned that agency the rep. told me that she did not have that particular account however she had several others and proceeded to rattle off in detail to me the specific alleged procedures. I assumed this was their validating the debt. I read information here in the forum that leads me to believe they weren't supposed to provide those details is that correct?

Also this same collection account was previously reported on all 3 bureaus.  I disputed it through the bureaus and they "verified" it and it remained for about 1 day and then it was removed.  It remained away for a few months and has re appeared, same collector, same dofd, same $ amount.  I spoke with someone at Experian about this and he informed me that it appears they re inserted the same account but changed the account # so as to make it appear to be different.  He stated that they cannot simply re insert once it has been removed with the same information so that is likely why they added with a different account #.    Should I re open another dispute with the bureau or send DV to the collection company and mention the fact that it appears they have re-inserted the same debt with a different account #?

If they are yours I would just settle them here is the order to go after them

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.