Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection for an adult Child

tag
WD2005
Contributor

Medical Collection for an adult Child

I received a letter from Phoenix Financial, a debt collector, last week saying I owed $110 for something from 9/2017. It was vague with no description. Only for Steward Medical which, in my area, covers anything from doctor's offices to a few hospitals. I have providers in that network so I called them and I had no outstanding balances.

I tried calling Phoenix on Monday as I have zero medical debt and no idea what this is for. I got voicemail but just hung up. Well they called me today and said the debt is for my 25 year old biological son who is covered by my employer sponsored insurance. They said that since I'm the subscriber that I am responsible for his bills. I don't think that is correct. I told them that I never said I'd pay for it and his debts aren't mine. They threatened to "put it on my credit report". Am I wrong here? I'm not here to argue the moral obligations but rather the legal one. 

1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Medical Collection for an adult Child

It may not make sense right now. Forget principle. For $110 just pay it so it doesnt report and put a blemish on your reports. Then go after them to get a refund on whatever avenue you chose to take to fix this. Its not worth it to take a major hit to your scores. And the hassle to get it removed will be 10x harder. Good Luck!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/parents-are-not-liable-for-medical-debts-of-a... 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.