cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections Dropped Off Due to New Rule Taking Effect in 2023?

tag
faikoskor

Medical Collections Dropped Off Due to New Rule Taking Effect in 2023?

Two days ago, 3 collection accounts which I previously disputed (3 months ago) automatically dropped off on all 3 of my credit reports. The account were first reported in Dec 2017, 6 years ago. So far, all the info I've read state that collections are automatically deleted after 7 years, not 6. 

The only info I was able to find indicates that starting in the first half of 2023, the 3 major agencies will no longer include medical collection debt under $500 on credit reports. In my case, the balance is over $500 per account and it's not been 7 years yet. Does anyone know if amounts greater than $500 but less than $1000 are also being removed?

Although I'm excited about this unexpected surprise (I even filled a complaint with the DOJ in my state with no success), I wanted to make sure I undertood the reason behind it in case they reappear on the reports again. I've already gotten approved for 2 new credit cards with PenFed for $6000 CL each.

Thanks in advance.

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 703
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Medical Collections Dropped Off Due to New Rule Taking Effect in 2023?

Unpaid collections over $500 are not going to be removed. 

I have to ask though, what on Earth DOJ had to do with collection accounts? 

Message 2 of 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Medical Collections Dropped Off Due to New Rule Taking Effect in 2023?

@Remedios wrote:

Unpaid collections over $500 are not going to be removed. 

I have to ask though, what on Earth DOJ had to do with collection accounts? 

This.

Also, I've never seen/heard of a DOJ complaint for collections...

And they may have fallen off because the CAs (not the bureaus) decided to remove early, or because the debt was sold off to another CA who just hasn't reported yet.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.