Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections- Please Help

tag
Unicornmagic
New Visitor

Medical Collections- Please Help

My mortgage scores were finally back to okay-ish (over 700 each). Just received a medical collection on each report of $1737 lowering my scores by over 50 pts. The bill was for my son's emergency room visit. At the time my son had insurance through his father. His father was the subscriber. The insurance company sent a check to him, in his name. He cashed it. And never paid the bill.

I suppose when I called about the bill they took down my info and now it's in my name. How to correct this? I don't know where the original bill is because I thought he paid it. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Medical Collections- Please Help

Even with divorce settlements. Both parents are responsible for a childs treatment. The agreement between the parents is irrelevant when it comes to both parents being financially responsible to pay the providers for their children’s medical care no matter who had the insurance or not. Work out a plan and see if they will remove the entry on your reports after you PIF. Sorry it happened. Kinda low on his part. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Collections- Please Help

I would follow the steps I have outlined, once its settled then sue your ex for recovery of the funds that he cashed.

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.