cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collections

New Contributor

Medical Collections

My husband has an old medical bill that a collection agency is trying to collect on plus interest. What is the best way to handle this?

Any direction would be helpful. 

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Medical Collections

Google the HIPAA Letter Process and follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
FICO 8 Scores Eq 821 Ex 820 TU 841, 195K Available CL, 1% Util

Message 2 of 5

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
New Contributor

Step 1 - I sent a letter to the CRA.  I've have not gotten a response and it's been over 30days.  Wait until the end of the month?

Message 4 of 5

RedHeadGirlLA wrote:

Step 1 - I sent a letter to the CRA.  I've have not gotten a response and it's been over 30days.  Wait until the end of the month?

If you are referring to a dispute you sent in they have 30 days from date of receipt plus 5 days to send the dispute result. If by chance you had a dispute open at the time then it extends the time to 45 days plus 5. I would give a few weeks past time before moving on to next step.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 5 of 5