cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Debt Reporting Changes: am I interpreting correctly?

tag
RiskJunkieMCD
Established Member

Medical Debt Reporting Changes: am I interpreting correctly?

Almost exactly one year ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian tumor and had to go through a bunch of testing, imaging, and a surgery. I'm fine now, except that I still owe about $6K in medical debt across multiple different accounts. Several of them were placed with the same collection agency.

One of the accounts, a small one of only $60, was recently reported on my credit. I didn't stress over it; it's not the first time I've had a medical debt go to collection, and I've always been able to do pay-for-delete with those. When I called to pay it, however, they told me they would unable to delete it, that they would report it as PIF but it would remain on my report for 7 years. I therefore declined to pay that one, but I did make payments on the other accounts they have on me in order to prevent those from getting reported.

I've been working really hard on my credit over the past few years and have finally achieved "good" credit, so this one collection is really discouraging. (I know collection accounts under $100 aren't factored into FICO8, but they're still factored into other formulas, and I just hate seeing the negative mark when I look at my reports.) I've been reading about some upcoming changes to how the credit bureaus are reporting medical debt. What I'm seeing is that, as of July 1 2022, any paid medical debt is supposed to be deleted, then in 2023 any medical debt less than $500 is supposed to be left unreported. Unless I'm missing something, that means I should be able to go ahead and pay that $60 account now, then have it deleted in a matter of a couple weeks. Is it really that simple? Am I interpreting the upcoming changes correctly? Does anyone know if there are any mitigating factors I need to be aware of?

Thanks for you help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Debt Reporting Changes: am I interpreting correctly?

@RiskJunkieMCD wrote:

Almost exactly one year ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian tumor and had to go through a bunch of testing, imaging, and a surgery. I'm fine now, except that I still owe about $6K in medical debt across multiple different accounts. Several of them were placed with the same collection agency.

One of the accounts, a small one of only $60, was recently reported on my credit. I didn't stress over it; it's not the first time I've had a medical debt go to collection, and I've always been able to do pay-for-delete with those. When I called to pay it, however, they told me they would unable to delete it, that they would report it as PIF but it would remain on my report for 7 years. I therefore declined to pay that one, but I did make payments on the other accounts they have on me in order to prevent those from getting reported.

I've been working really hard on my credit over the past few years and have finally achieved "good" credit, so this one collection is really discouraging. (I know collection accounts under $100 aren't factored into FICO8, but they're still factored into other formulas, and I just hate seeing the negative mark when I look at my reports.) I've been reading about some upcoming changes to how the credit bureaus are reporting medical debt. What I'm seeing is that, as of July 1 2022, any paid medical debt is supposed to be deleted, then in 2023 any medical debt less than $500 is supposed to be left unreported. Unless I'm missing something, that means I should be able to go ahead and pay that $60 account now, then have it deleted in a matter of a couple weeks. Is it really that simple? Am I interpreting the upcoming changes correctly? Does anyone know if there are any mitigating factors I need to be aware of?

Thanks for you help!

Yup it will be gone, might take some time for the CRAs to go through and delete all the paid medicals...  Here are the current ways to get rid of it, you already tried one so you can try the others

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.