cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical OC has not reported to the bureaus. Is 'HIPPA letter (1 )' still valid.

tag
Hope
Valued Member

Medical OC has not reported to the bureaus. Is 'HIPPA letter (1 )' still valid.

An original medical creditor from 2005 turned over a bill to a collection agency. The collection agency has sent me 2 letters since April of 2008. The OC never reported this bill to the bureaus. The questions I have are :
  1. Should I skip  Hippa Letter (1) because there is no CRA reporting.
  2. Should I proceed with Letter (2) only, and send a certified check for payment in the same envelope?
  3. Should I send the envelope by Certified mail?

I want to send this payment to the original creditor and keep this from my report but they told me I need to work with the Collection agency now. 

I plan on disregarding the OC reply and forcing a payment on the original creditor.

Could someone please answer questions 1-3 above?

Thanks

Hope

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical OC has not reported to the bureaus. Is 'HIPPA letter (1 )' still valid.

Hope wrote:
An original medical creditor from 2005 turned over a bill to a collection agency. The collection agency has sent me 2 letters since April of 2008. The OC never reported this bill to the bureaus. The questions I have are :
  1. Should I skip  Hippa Letter (1) because there is no CRA reporting.
  2. Should I proceed with Letter (2) only, and send a certified check for payment in the same envelope?
  3. Should I send the envelope by Certified mail?

I want to send this payment to the original creditor and keep this from my report but they told me I need to work with the Collection agency now. 

I plan on disregarding the OC reply and forcing a payment on the original creditor.

Could someone please answer questions 1-3 above?

Thanks

Hope

1.) You cannot use the HIPAA letter process unless you have a collection on your report.

2.) Since you cannot do letter #1, you cannot do letter #2

As for what to do now, you can try again with the OC and have it paid, forget about the CA. Keep plugging away with the OC.
Message 2 of 5
Hope
Valued Member

Re: Medical OC has not reported to the bureaus. Is 'HIPPA letter (1 )' still valid.

Thanks for your reply Fused. I will go ahead and send a PFD letter to the OC along with my payment and see if they bite.

Is this the best approach or should I just send a payment?

Hope   
Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

2005 is a long time ago, I would have to think if was going to report it would have by now. I'm concerned if you pay this the OC will inform the CA and who knows what might happen.
Message 4 of 5
Hope
Valued Member

I understand your concern Fused. I am not sure whether I should take the chance and wait another 3 years (my SOL).

I am a litle concerned that the OC will call the CRA or the CA now that I contacted the OC. I accidently told them it was not on my CR. I know this was a bad move and it slipped out!!!!  Do you think they will waste their time reporting it now that I contacted them?

DO YOU THINK or others think the CA will report since the have sent me two letters?

Thanks for the help!

Hope  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.