Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical bill help, please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical bill help, please.

I just had a medical bill get put on my credit report and it dropped my score by over 50 points. What do I do? There's so much differing information out there. Is it best to settle or pay it off completely? How can I get it removed from my credit report? Should I verify the debt first? The debt has been sold to Radius Global Solutions. I called and talk to them a few days ago. Was that a mistake?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical bill help, please.

I would see if they will do a PFD(Pay for Delete) upon receiving payment in full.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a difference between settling and paying in full?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a difference between settling and paying in full?

Yes.

Settling means they will accept a percentage of the total amount due and the rest is 'forgiven.'  If the amount 'forgiven' is over, I believe, $600 then it is sent to the IRS and you need to report it as income on your tax return. This will show as settled on your credit reports.

Paying in full means you pay 100% of what is owed. It will report as paid. If you want to go this route, it is recomended that you request a Pay for Delete. If they accept that it will be removed from your report once fully paid.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the responses. Is it better to settle or pay in full? 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay in Full is best. 

Message 6 of 7
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the responses. Is it better to settle or pay in full? 

It depends upon if you can get a pay for delete settlement.  If they delete the tradeline then it doesn't matter if the account is settled as it will never appear on your report again. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.