cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collection calls for my (minor) son!!! Help...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical collection calls for my (minor) son!!! Help...

On 5/15/08 I received a bill from Signet Diagnostics for an x-ray that my son had in May 2006.  The bill came in my son's name...who would have been 13 at the time of the x-ray...so I called them (their call center is apparently in India - the reps I spoke with had very thick accents, but their names were "George Williams" and "Thomas Johnson"...yeeeeaaah, RIGHT.)  I asked 1) if they had filed with my insurance company...they said they had, 2) why was I just getting this bill 2 years after the date of service??...they said there was a computer glitch that was recently fixed and they just realized this bill had never been paid, and 3) was this bill going to go to collections since it stated "90-days past due" even though it was the first bill I received...they said no, it would not go to collections.  They kept saying "Don't worry.  Don't worry." 

I was worried.

The very next day on 5/16/08, guess what?  My son received a letter from Medicredit, a collection agency!!!  I called Signet Diagnostics again and asked what the heck??  They said it should not have gone to collections and they were very sorry, and to just ingore the letter.  Then I asked them to verify the insurance information that they had filed.  Turns out they had my ID# one number off from the correct ID#, which would be why my ins. company did not pay 2 years ago.  So I provided them with the correct # and they said they would re-file the claim. 

A week later I called them to make sure the claim had been re-filed.  They said yes, and that they were taking the bill out of collections status.

On 6/30/08 I received a call from Medicredit.  GRRRR.  I explained what happened (they were VERY nice, and even spoke English clearly...)  They confirmed that the debt had not been reported on my son's CR...yet. But it's scheduled to report on July 15th if payment is not received by then.  I immediately called Signet Diagnostics and "Shanti" answered the phone and asked me about fifty times to hold on the line while he pulled up my account.  Apparently there was mass confusion and he could not pull up my account right away since it seems that my insurance company paid the claim in the last couple of days.  When he finally did pull up the account, he told me "Don't worry.  The bill is paid.  The collection company should not call you anymore."  I said I wanted HIM to contact the collection company to make sure they knew the bill was paid.  He kept saying "Don't worry.  If they call just tell them it's paid."  I said (about ten more times) "I want YOU to call them."  He put me on hold, came back and said "Don't worry.  The bill is paid."  Incompetent *&^%$&)!@!!!!!! 

I am worried about my son's credit being ruined before he's even old enough to GET credit.  Do I need to write a letter or something?  And to who - Signet Diagnostics or Medicredit?  And what do I need to say??  Help! 

Medicredit suggested that I call them on July 10th to confirm that their records show the bill was paid, and if not that I could pay it myself (to avoid having it report on my son's CR) and then get reimbursed by Signet Diagnostics.  YEAH, because they've been SOOOO easy to work with and I just KNOW they'll give me my money back right away.  UGH.  But I will do that before I will let my son's credit get ruined over this ridiculousness.

Any advice is appreciated!
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Medical collection calls for my (minor) son!!! Help...

Find the number to the place he actually had the x-ray, if possible. They have to have a phone. Talk to them and explain what is happening.

Being a minor I do not think they even have a credit file. It would be in the parents name.

I would also call the insurance company and find out when it was paid.
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I confirmed that my insurance company DID pay the claim.  I had to get a little help from my benefits department since the claim was more than a year old, but they took care of it.  The x-ray was taken at Solantic Urgent Care, but the bill came from the diagnostic company, not Solantic.  I'll try calling Solantic tomorrow, but I have a feeling they're not going to be able to help me since they're not the ones that billed us for payment.

My concern is that this collection will end up on my son's CR.  They billed it under his name so if they report it, it would go on his report, not mine.  (Right?)

Ugh.  I really don't want my son to have any surprises on his CR when he applies for his first loan or CC in the future.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, even if they do act like the a-holes you're describing them to be, if he's 15 now, and 13 at the time of the debt, he'll be almost 18 when it falls off his reports.

Add to that, that since I doubt he signed anything, he can easily dispute the debt as "Not mine" since most states stipulate that a minor can't consent to medical care, and therefore, can't legally be held responsible for the debt.

CA's a wild card, though ... if that's your state, it won't be as easy to dispute, since legally, he CAN consent to medical care at 12 years or older.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

And oh, I think you can HIPPA (insert "b") them on the debt. Send the HIPPA letter to the OC (the place that actually did the work) AND the Diagnostic place. The letter will tell them that the debt is paid and that they are violating your privacy in allowing this to go to collections.

[Edited to remove copyrighted information and a prohibited link to an external website.]

Message 5 of 23
wahmom
Frequent Contributor

Actually I had someone send my daughter a collection notice when she was only 5 months old. Yes really, she was only 5 months old. It was for an ambulance ride when she was 1 month. They had filed with the insurance but they messed us in filling out the claim and the insurance denied it.

Instead of resubmitting it, they sent it to collections. When I called the CA and told them that she was only 5 months old, the lady laughed and told me she would take care of it. I guess I got a pretty nice CA because they investigated and got it taken care of.

Even though he can consent to medical care, I don't think he can enter into a binding contract therefore, he's not liable for the bill. But you may want to call your local Legal Aid office and see if someone can answer the question for you.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, believe it or not, in CA he CAN be held liable for the bill, even at TWELVE!!

Someone else on this forum had a similar situation and thorough Googling of the CA statutes did in fact state that a 12 year (no younger, though) CAN be held liable for medical bills!!

Yeesh!! Can you believe it??!!
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should probably let you know the "why" -- it's all about teen privacy as it relates to birth control and abortions. In order to secure minor privacy (thankfully, only 12 years and up) in regards to pregnancy and STDs CA has passed legislation that allows a 12 year old (and older) access to medical care without parental consent (loosely translated).

Because of that (and I would assume angry parents who get big ugly bills for Tina Teen's birth control pills) they've said that 12 year olds CAN be responsible for the medical bills IF they consented OR if the event was life-threatening/emergency.
Message 8 of 23
wahmom
Frequent Contributor

Wow, really scary. California really goes way out there when they make laws. In a way I understand but from a parent stand point I totally disagree!
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woh, didn't know that about California law, but I'm actually in FL.  I'm not sure what the laws are here regarding minors consenting to medical treatment, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be more conservative than California's!

This whole thing has been completely frustrating.  I just want to protect my son's credit reports.  I will definitely send the HIPAA letter.  Thanks for the suggestions and sample letter. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.