Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collection, under $100, effect on scores

tag
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Medical collection, under $100, effect on scores

Just got notification from Transunion, Equifax and Experian of a medical collection for $44 from Alliance Credit of Marshfield, WI.

The original creditor was Aurora Advanced Health Care. I immediately paid it off DIRECTLY with Aurora when I saw this on my report the other day.

My score has not budged from Transunion or Equifax, but according to Experian and their free app and monitoring service, I have gone down 16 points!

I have already begun disputing the debt. Also filed a complaint with the CFPB about all 3 agencies for improper reporting. 

Any other tips?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

Re: Medical collection, under $100, effect on scores

You would have had to have Aurora recall the collection (authority) from Alliance prior to paying. Otherwise Alliance still had collection authority and can legally report to the CRA's. There is a chance that Alliance reporting will be removed but there is also a chance that it will be updated to reflect a zero balance but remain on your report. 

Good luck and hopefully for such a small amount it will be removed.

FICO 8

Message 2 of 11
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

I tried multiple times to have Alliance send the debt back to Aurora.

I kept sending Aurora small payments in the mail and they kept cashing my checks. Unfortunately I only got the balance down to $44 and that's when the collections account finally hit my credit report last week.

Whenver I would call Aurora to ask them about my balance they would keep saying "your balance is 0, and it has been sent to a collections agency"

When I finally got a manager, last week, she took the payment over the phone to get it to zero. But that's after it's already hit my 3 reports. Like I said, no score drop on TU or Equifax, yet, but a 16 point drop on Experian.

Hoping it goes away or doesn't effect those other 2 scores. 

Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Fico 8 ignores collections under 100, Fico 9 disregards medicals all together no matter the amount. If you paid this off before 6 months from DoFD it has to be removed under new laws for medical collections.

Message 4 of 11
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

I guess I don't know what the date of first delinq. was.

If FICO 8 and FICO 9 are ignoring this in their scoring, why did my Experian go down 16 points the day after the item hit my report? There were no other reasons for it to.

Message 5 of 11
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Bumping..

Asking for comments

Message 6 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

I guess I don't know what the date of first delinq. was.

If FICO 8 and FICO 9 are ignoring this in their scoring, why did my Experian go down 16 points the day after the item hit my report? There were no other reasons for it to.

This was just the trigger for a score update, something else changed and caused it.

Message 7 of 11
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

I should note that the point drop was on Experian (via their app) and Equifax (via CreditKarma)

Message 8 of 11
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Well, thanks to complaints with the BBB, the CFPB, and disputing the collection accounts with all 3 CRAs, the item has been removed from all three reports. This is good. It also caued the scores to go back up to what they were before.

Experian took the longest. But they fixed it on their end too.

Message 9 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats. C-Ya collections! Good job and great advise as usual....

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.