cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical debt sent to Americollect but not reporting yet.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical debt sent to Americollect but not reporting yet.

We had 2 ER bills ($2,321.39) sent to Americollect on February 22nd. Never saw the warning unfortunately with my husband getting the mail but the statement from collection says 3/5/21 and that we have 30 days before they'll assume the debt is valid.

I looked at the hospital account online and it shows that I can still pay that balance. Should we do that and then tell Americollect we already paid it? The hospital told my husband over the phone it was sent to collections, he didn't get to the part of offering to pay. We wouldn't normally be able to pay that much up front but we are supposed to get our stimulus tomorrow. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical debt sent to Americollect but not reporting yet.

You can go two ways here. Ask the OC to recall the collectors in exchange for the payment or just pay the CA as they say you have 30 days before they report. I would just pay the CA. Keep the paperwork going forward till the 7 year reporting period completely passes.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Medical debt sent to Americollect but not reporting yet.

What was the date that the debt first became delinquent?

The CRAs have agreed, as part of a settlement agreement, not to include any medical collections in their credit reports until the debt has reached at least 180 days from first delinquency.

Thus,even if reported, it would not show in your credit report until after 180 days delinquent.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.