cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed up on 1 payment and now my dropped credit score is affecting everything else

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Messed up on 1 payment and now my dropped credit score is affecting everything else

My credit score got dinged quite a bit (from 739 to 612) due to my credit union reporting that my credit account was 30-60 days late in January. It was an oversight on my part, as I thought I had already made a payment and just forgot to check. I had been transitioning from self employment to a traditional job and even though I struggled paying bills for a few months because of slow and inconsistant business, I managed to at least get minimums paid. Before this, my credit with all 3 bureaus had been spotless, so i'm kicking myself about this. Now that I am at a stable job, I have paid off that account in full.

I still have 3 credit cards, and while I do have balances on all of them, I am actively working to pay them off. None of them were maxed, but it's going to take a few paychecks to whittle everything down. Due to my credit score taking a hit, my line of credit for all of them has been lowered, which is frustrating because now my debt to credit ratio sucks! I do not plan on using my cards until I can get them paid off. If my credit union removes the lateness, and my score goes back up, will the credit card companies increase my credit line again, or do I have to wait a period of time so they can see that i'm continuing to make payments on time? 

I am going to write a goodwill letter/email to my credit union and hope that they remove the black mark on my report. Is there anything else I can do to at this point? 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Messed up on 1 payment and now my dropped credit score is affecting everything else

@Anonymouswrote:

My credit score got dinged quite a bit (from 739 to 612) due to my credit union reporting that my credit account was 30-60 days late in January. It was an oversight on my part, as I thought I had already made a payment and just forgot to check. I had been transitioning from self employment to a traditional job and even though I struggled paying bills for a few months because of slow and inconsistant business, I managed to at least get minimums paid. Before this, my credit with all 3 bureaus had been spotless, so i'm kicking myself about this. Now that I am at a stable job, I have paid off that account in full.

I still have 3 credit cards, and while I do have balances on all of them, I am actively working to pay them off. None of them were maxed, but it's going to take a few paychecks to whittle everything down. Due to my credit score taking a hit, my line of credit for all of them has been lowered, which is frustrating because now my debt to credit ratio sucks! I do not plan on using my cards until I can get them paid off. If my credit union removes the lateness, and my score goes back up, will the credit card companies increase my credit line again, or do I have to wait a period of time so they can see that i'm continuing to make payments on time? 

I am going to write a goodwill letter/email to my credit union and hope that they remove the black mark on my report. Is there anything else I can do to at this point? 

Just keep trying and begging for a goodwill adjustment. Make sure you are communicating with upper management. Send the CEO an email or snail mail. Don't waste your time with front line CSR.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Messed up on 1 payment and now my dropped credit score is affecting everything else

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a way to find out the address or email for the CEOs? The credit union is Oregon State Credit Union, and I have looked all over the site for any email or address that isn't the general member services catch all account. I did a Google search and found the name of the President/CEO, but no direct contact information. There are only around 12 small branches throughout the state, and the main financial center is in the next town over. Would addressing a letter to him and mailing it to the main center work? I'm assuming that is where he would be, but I have no idea lol

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you mail it to the main branch and attn him, he might get it. It honestly doesn’t hurt to try multiple names who are higher up.

Worst they can say is no.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.