cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Method of Verification Letter (Success or Fail)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Method of Verification Letter (Success or Fail)

I was wondering is anyone had success with these letters. After three rounds of credit disputes and verifications, im sending a method of verification. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Method of Verification Letter (Success or Fail)

Hi and welcome to the forums @Anonymous 

It's going to be a certain fail. Despite of what you read on the shady internet sites, when it comes to disputes, the burden of proof is all on you, because you already attempted it three times.  If you have the evidence item does not belong on your credit report, dispute with those. Send them to the CRA via certified mail and see what happens. 

If there is something that's inaccurate, that is the process for correcting it. 

Sending a letter that basically says " My credit score is important to me and this does not belong" (I googled it) will end up in a shredder somewhere. 

If you need to know how much of a scam something is, just look at the part where they are recommending use of "reputable credit repair company". There aint no such animal 

I would really strongly advise you to abandon this strategy. You'll just find yourself in deeper trouble. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok in the letter I stated which accounts are inaccurate due to my own investigation
Message 3 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If your report contains inaccuracies, you should dispute, but letter in itself will not do the job, especially in the light of previous disputes. 

Do you have anything you can use as a proof that inaccurate reporting is taking place? 

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A so-called "method of verification" (MOV) request is provided for under FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii).

It mandates that, upon request from a consumer, a CRA must provide "a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the (disputed) information."

It is a procedural for a statement of the method used to determine the accuracy, which under the FCRA requires that they must refer a copy to the party who reported ("furnished") the disputed information to the CRA for their investigation and response back to the CRA.

Pertinent case law interpretation is that an MOV request does not involve any requirment to factually document the basis for their decision, and thus is not a requirement to "prove" the substance of their notice of results of their reinvestigation procedure.

What you are likely to receive is only a statement that they referred the dispute to party A, who responded back to the CRA with a verification of accuracy of the information that was reported by them.

As for multiple disputes, if a subsequent dispute is substantially the same as a prior dispute, the CRA can dismiss it as "frivolous or irrelevant" with no need for a new or subsequent reinvestigation of the same matter.  One issue, one dispute.

If, after receivng the results of a CRA dispute, the consumer disagrees with the results, the consumer then has the right to file a civil action contesting the reasonableness of the investigation of the dispute, and thus get a review of the facts by the courts.  See FCRA 623(c).

There is no formal appeal of the admin decision of a CRA dispute, and an MOV request only provides for CRA procedural disclosure, and not substance or proofs.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well i know they are using the system E-Oscar so some of the verfied stuff aint 100% accurate.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the MOV i pointed out that information was incorrect and showed proof I didnt give them a whole lot but i showed them how the information is different across the three credit companies and that the creditors are not reporting correctly so they need to investigate before legal actions are taken. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.