Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Credit on credit report with no corresponding OC

tag
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

Midland Credit on credit report with no corresponding OC

I was looking at my husband's credit report after he received a letter from Midland Credit for a debt supposedly owed to Capital One. The problem is my husband's credit bureau report doesn't show a corresponding account (current or closed) for/with Capital One.  My husband's credit report, unlike my credit report Smiley Sad, is in really good shape and only has an open Citi credit card account, this Midland Credit collection account, a closed Kohl's account due to inactivity (paid as agreed), and an old paid-as-agreed mortgage (we paid off our mortgage with inheritance money we received in 2014).

My stepson, same name as my husband's name (Sr./Jr.), opened a couple of credit cards using my husband's name/SSN and then stopped paying them.  We lived in Texas at the time and the address the invoices were sent to was in California, where my stepson lived at the time.  I'm thinking this may be one of the accounts opened by my stepson. After we discovered the identify theft, we filed police reports on these accounts and provided the police reports to the credit card companies but that was years ago (possibly more than 7) and I have no idea where that paperwork is as we've moved to a different state since that time.

My husband's Experian FICO8 is currently in the 600s and without this collection account I believe it'll be back in the 700s, where it was before Midland added this collection account to his bureaus.

Question: should we send a debt verification/validation letter to Midland, file a dispute with the three credit bureaus since there isn't a corresponding Capital One account on my husband's credit report, or file a complaint with the BBB? 

TIA

Rebuilding starting date: 7/14/2022
TU = 488; EX = 489; EQ = 467

Goal FICO score: 750 or higher

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~ Robert Frost

10 REPLIES 10
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Midland Credit on credit report with no corresponding OC

@Gigi-DFW wrote:

since there isn't a corresponding Capital One account on my husband's credit report

When Cap1 sold my CO to a CA, they removed their OC TL from my report, same with Credit One. So lack of that OC TL wouldn't be the means by which the CA should be removed.

There's surely a specific mechanism by which fraudlent TL's are removed especially having filed police reports for the fraud, so research more into that and hopefully you'll find what you need to do in this situation. Others with more experience will surely know where to find more information about what do in cases of fraud.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

1/6, 5/12, 12/24

Message 2 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If its a payable amount. Midland will PFD. Gone. Then have step son pay you back. Simple way instead of going legal, disputes, and so forth.

Message 3 of 11
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I believe the DofFD is more than 7 years ago so how do I find out if this is the case? If the DofFD is more than 7:years ago to the OC, would Midland be required to delete this from my husband's credit report?

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~ Robert Frost

Message 4 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Check your reports at ACR. If its more than 7 yrs since the DoFD. There shouldnt be any sign of it on your reports. Nor the CA who inherited the DoFD.

Message 5 of 11
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

I've pulled the ACR for my husband and the only active items on his credit reports are an open Citi credit card (paid as agreed) and the Midland Credit collection account.  The Midland entry states that the original debt is from Capital One but the CapOne account isn't on his report.  I believe the fraud occurred more than 7 years ago. 

I need to get this Midland account off his report so we can open a couple of other credit card accounts to boost his Fico8 score.  Our current house is paid off but we may want to borrow against the equity to build our "forever" retirement home on land we've already purchased (paid cash for this 2.5 acre lot in June).

Message 6 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You can dispute it as too old. Past the DoFD.

Message 7 of 11
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

Thanks again for your reply/feedback.

Should I just file a dispute with the credit bureaus, the CA, BBB or all of them?

Message 8 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Just the CRA's. If its listed on all 3.

Message 9 of 11
Gigi-DFW
New Contributor

Thank you! Filing disputes in T-minus 3, 2, 1 ... DISPUTE!! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.