Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland, deletion and careful language on phone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland, deletion and careful language on phone

Hello guys,

I have one issue on my credit, and it is Midland. I've read through the boards over the past two years and I'm curious about this collection company. The issue is that while I know that some have had no issue simply paying through their site, or speaking with someone directly, my account seems to have "gone to legal". With this, I get transfered on the phone to another department and have to deal with them on this level rather than on their site. 

The collection is for $1,280, with Midland saying they will settle for $1,100. I would have hoped for a lower amount to pay but at this point, I just want this over with. The other issue is that they seem to be using very careful language when discussing settlement. 

They are saying that after payment, they will send a letter to the credit bureaus asking for deletion. They are refusing to put anything in writing in advance relating to an agreement. And with looking at previous posts where people have paid only to have the tradeline show simply as "paid", but not deleted, I worry that it will be a situation where I am promised a request for deletion, I pay, and the collection stays on the credit file as "paid". 

Could anyone provide some help in this? 

Thank you again for your help

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Midland, deletion and careful language on phone

Sounds like they're getting ready to sue you. They're not offering a lower settlement amount because they'll probably leverage that if you refuse. As for the letter, they're being careful since if they don't follow through with what was promised, you can sue them for breach of contract as well as for damages resulting in an improperly updated credit report. So, for example, instead of qualifying for a 1.9% auto loan you're forced to take a 9.99% auto loan because they didn't delete, you can sue them for that.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midlands website openly states they will delete tradeline if the account is PIF/SIF and it’s been two years since DOFD. so while I definitely understand you wanting it in the agreement I wouldn’t worry about it. For peace of mind you could always print the website that states will delete.

If they won’t provide you a settlement letter, you can always record the call. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. As much as people like to say Midland is a scam or whatever they are probably the best debt buyer out there
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses, guys.

In this case, would it still be likely for deletion (that they are stating that they will request) still be likely if I take the lower amount, instead of PIF? I notice that you mentioned PIF/SIF so I’m hoping that either works.

As an aside, my credit has been on a tear lately. From paying down around 4K worth of credit debt, my scores jumped over 100 points to 683 Ex (from Ex site) in the past 45 days. I’m hoping that this will out even more momentum behind me.

Just have nearly everything to 0 besides auto loan
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, spoke with a few departments at Midland, and after seeing everything that has been written about them clearing collection lines when they say they will, I decided to pay it off. So, case closed...for now. Hopefully in 30 days or less,it'll be off and I'll be in the 700s! 

Thanks again

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello guys,

I have one issue on my credit, and it is Midland. I've read through the boards over the past two years and I'm curious about this collection company. The issue is that while I know that some have had no issue simply paying through their site, or speaking with someone directly, my account seems to have "gone to legal". With this, I get transfered on the phone to another department and have to deal with them on this level rather than on their site. 

The collection is for $1,280, with Midland saying they will settle for $1,100. I would have hoped for a lower amount to pay but at this point, I just want this over with. The other issue is that they seem to be using very careful language when discussing settlement. 

They are saying that after payment, they will send a letter to the credit bureaus asking for deletion. They are refusing to put anything in writing in advance relating to an agreement. And with looking at previous posts where people have paid only to have the tradeline show simply as "paid", but not deleted, I worry that it will be a situation where I am promised a request for deletion, I pay, and the collection stays on the credit file as "paid". 

Could anyone provide some help in this? 

Thank you again for your help

Idk about the legal piece of things but Midland does delete settled or paid in full accounts once they reach 2 years since the date of 1st delinquency (DOFD).  So if the DOFD has already passed, the account will be deleted from your credit reports once you pay them off.  If it hasn't passed, Midland will be able to tell you when the DOFD was and when you can expect the deletion to take place.  I was recently able to settle an account with them for 45% of the total but since my DOFD was less than 2 years ago, it will not be deleted just yet but I was told when it will be.  I wouldn't worry about them not deleting b/c they have the policy displayed on their website.  Best of luck to you!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to come back and say thank you for everyone that participated. Thanks to this board I saw how others did well with paying off and moving forward which helped me to do the same thing. Two weeks after paid, Midland, my only collection, has been deleted. 

Awesome 

Thanks guys

Message 7 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

It is reassuring to know that Midland follows the process outlined on their website. I think that finally, CAs are realizing that the carrot works better than the stick.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.