cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland sniffing - and I am a wee bit concerned...

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Midland sniffing - and I am a wee bit concerned...

Hey look! 10 years later and I still find myself coming back to this forum for therapy..

10 years ago, went through a huge credit rebuild. Was successful, paid off a ton of debt, restored my credit, bought a house in 2012 etc..... spent about 800 hours on this forum.

I have a had a clean credit report for 8 years. Sold our house in August, moved to a new state, and now looking to buy a house again. Had my credit pulled, the normal process. Mid-700 scores, which is what I was expecting, no collections which I was expecting, conventional loan approval which I was expecting...

What I was NOT expecting was when I checked my credit 4 days later, Midland pops up with an "Account Review" inuiry, and now I am getting 10 phone calls a day from them.. Having been through the wars, I know what they are trying to do and I know that there is no legitmate debt (that I can think of) out there I didn't pay back..

They are not on my report currently, but I know what their play is. I had LVNV do the SAME thing when I was trying to close in 2012. LVNV put an account that was already paid off on my credit, and I had to scramble like mad to get a removal. Any advice on what I should do, if I should do anything? I know I can send a validation letter but I am concerned Covid will prevent that letter from being opened in a timely manner. I am just worried that regardless of the legitmacy, we know how they operate and I can see a collection account popping up any time now. With a closing coming up in 3 weeks, I am just on edge.

It is funny, once you go down the rabbit hole of bad credit, even after years of work and responsibilty there always could be an old account lurking you didn't know you had..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Midland sniffing - and I am a wee bit concerned...

If it's been 8 years, all they can do is mail you letters and call. If they try to put anything on your reports, get a consumer protection attorney and sue them for violation of the FCRA.

Message 2 of 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Those sneaky little punks. It seems like some people can't stand to see others do well. CA's fall into this group of people.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 3 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Good advice.

Completely agree with you and will do so. However... with the loan closing in 3 weeks I don't know if that leaves me much time to successfully pursue a legal recourse.

I wonder if my best bet is just to ride this one out and not worry about it unless they DO something, but because I had like 20+ bad accounts a while back, even though I know I am clean now I still worry.

-scott

Message 4 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You may want to just give them a heads up it may be coming, but isn't valid. Or, you can keep quiet and play dumb if it shows.

Message 5 of 7
Acc-Risk
Contributor

I wouldn't do or say anything. Midland knows the rules and there's no law that says they can't pursue you til the end of time. Ride it out and the phone calls will slow/stop.

Message 6 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Acc-Risk wrote:

I wouldn't do or say anything. Midland knows the rules and there's no law that says they can't pursue you til the end of time. Ride it out and the phone calls will slow/stop.

Yeah.. I mean, my heart knows that is the right move. I am just over-thinking due to the mortgage. PTSD from 2012 I think..

Thanks all!

-scott

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.