Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Star card reporting inaccurate lates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Military Star card reporting inaccurate lates

Quite a few years back when we were new to credit, my husband and I charged up our Aafes / star card,. Couldn't afford to pay it/forgot/got behind whatever. That's neither here nor there. Aafes started to garnish my husband's wages for the minimum through an involuntary allotment. We ended up paying probably close to 5k for 2k. We just avoided credit for almost 10 years because of this and one other credit card due to our mistakes and not wanting to get into debt again.

I didn't know they were garnishing until it was almost paid off. In the last few months I decided we needed to take care of our credit ahead of time, if we want to be buying a house anytime in the near. I noticed on TransUnion, in the beginning of 2016 Star started to report a cycle of on time, 30 days late, 60 days late, on time, 30 and 60, over and over equalling 7 lates and plus another late in 2014. All of this while receiving a garnished payment each month on the same date. Experian reports the same.

Equifax is worse, it has all of those plus more, in the same cycle of on time, 30, 60, from 2011 to 2013. Totaling 22(!!!) late/missed payments. Then all on time for 3 years except the one in 2014. While again receiving payments each month. The allotment never stopped or changed.

I am positive this is impossible due to the involuntary monthly allotment, so completely inaccurate(and pretty messed up Smiley Sad ). So I am at a loss.

My question is how would we go about fixing something like this? This is one of his only bad things on his reports, aside from a paid in full charge off to a CU and 1 late payment on a car loan last year. So I'm fairly sure it's pretty damaging to his score. Which is currently sitting around 640-650 fico.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Military Star card reporting inaccurate lates

@Anonymous wrote:
Quite a few years back when we were new to credit, my husband and I charged up our Aafes / star card,. Couldn't afford to pay it/forgot/got behind whatever. That's neither here nor there. Aafes started to garnish my husband's wages for the minimum through an involuntary allotment. We ended up paying probably close to 5k for 2k. We just avoided credit for almost 10 years because of this and one other credit card due to our mistakes and not wanting to get into debt again.

I didn't know they were garnishing until it was almost paid off. In the last few months I decided we needed to take care of our credit ahead of time, if we want to be buying a house anytime in the near. I noticed on TransUnion, in the beginning of 2016 Star started to report a cycle of on time, 30 days late, 60 days late, on time, 30 and 60, over and over equalling 7 lates and plus another late in 2014. All of this while receiving a garnished payment each month on the same date. Experian reports the same.

Equifax is worse, it has all of those plus more, in the same cycle of on time, 30, 60, from 2011 to 2013. Totaling 22(!!!) late/missed payments. Then all on time for 3 years except the one in 2014. While again receiving payments each month. The allotment never stopped or changed.

I am positive this is impossible due to the involuntary monthly allotment, so completely inaccurate(and pretty messed up Smiley Sad ). So I am at a loss.

My question is how would we go about fixing something like this? This is one of his only bad things on his reports, aside from a paid in full charge off to a CU and 1 late payment on a car loan last year. So I'm fairly sure it's pretty damaging to his score. Which is currently sitting around 640-650 fico.

Hi! and welcome !!

I know STAR pretty well, having had for over 10yrs.. Don't fret this can be fixed!

1st if you can have hubby go to finance and get them to print out the start and stop dates of his allotments AND payroll deductions.  Also if he can, have them print up all of his LES's during that period

2nd go to Innovis.com and get a copy of that CR too, (they will let you dispute online but you need the same docs as above) have them mail you a hard copy

once you get hard copies of every credit report including Innovis...

3rd fax Aafes ( PM me I can give you the number) and in writing request that all errors be corrected as "paid as agreed" on the big 3 CRAs and Innovis (just say it nicely Smiley Happy ) and include the information from finance

and at the same time go online to all 4 CRAs and dispute and fax your proof to them..(everything from finance and your request cover letter)

this can take about 30-45 days to get corected and you will have to follow up with phone calls (but give them a couple of weeks to work on it)

side note...once Aafes started payroll deduction and accepted your allotment you were no longer past due (if all past due amounts were brought up to date) or if they accepted a payment plan even if you had a past due amounts.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome. Been lurking a while, straighten his score from about 530 to the current 640 in the passed 3 months. Mine from 0/thin file to 650-750 depending on which which agency your looking at with the knowledge I've gathered here.

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for since calling them was going nowhere.

I knew it was definitely not right if they were receiving monthly payments for it but still reporting that weird cycle every few years. The first time it was reported current from the allotment, it should have stayed current.

Thanks so much!

Just wish we had known that years ago before having to settle for terrible auto loan apr. The good news though is that since we got our scores up, we refinanced our current gas guzzling family van from 10% to 3.75% with Navyfed and took out a second car loan with for a car with high mpg(my first loan, as co-owner) at 3.49% with Penfed since Navy wouldn't let me on without current income and only 3 month long credit history.

Brought our payments to $25 more for 2 cars. But also means about $80 less per month in gas. All said and done were coming out ahead with a much needed second car, paying less for final payoff amounts and having about $50 extra with less gas!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome Smiley Happy

Many civilians don't realize the power of Aafes, they are considered a "federal account" as far as collections go..they are the only credit debt (CC, bad check) that can payroll deduct from VA disability, SSI or SSD there is no "Federally Protected" status from them.

Like I said before, feel free to PM me and I will send you the fax numbers for their credit reporting review dept.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there is an error, please contact the Exchange Credit Program at 1-877-891-7827 or through email at MilitaryStar@aafes.com. They should be able to assist you.

Message 5 of 7
Gramz
Contributor

This same thing happen to me,  I am still trying to get the late payment resolve.  I was deployed at the time and I provide them with my orders, they response was that I was supposed to provide them the orders before I deployed.

AAFES or Military start take the payment stright from my Military pay, once I notice I call and paid them in full on my return.  But they will not budge and correct the late payment. 

Gardening ‎10-13-2017

FICO 8[10-25-2017] EX: 706, EQ: 714, TU: 719
FICO 8[1-04-2018] EX: 714, EQ: 737, TU: 721
Message 6 of 7
Gramz
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If there is an error, please contact the Exchange Credit Program at 1-877-891-7827 or through email at MilitaryStar@aafes.com. They should be able to assist you.

I tried everything even try and contact the CEO.  I provide my deployment orders, I wrote a lot of goodwill letters.  Everytime they come back and saying that cannot make the adjustments.  I SHOULD have provide my orders to them before i deployed. 

Military Exchange do not care in my situation and will not budge.  I hardly used my Military Start card now because of that same situation.  I rather used a different credit card or just pay with my debit card. 

Gardening ‎10-13-2017

FICO 8[10-25-2017] EX: 706, EQ: 714, TU: 719
FICO 8[1-04-2018] EX: 714, EQ: 737, TU: 721
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.