Valued Contributor

Miller stark and klein

No voicemail but when call back get the Above
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Phone call

Miller stark klein , no voice mail, but when I called back heard this. Do I call them or what
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Phone call

My advice is never speak to a debt collector. I went years and literally never spoke to one of them. I probably got hundreds of calls over the years before I began rebuilding. But that's just how I did it. I ignored my debt problems for far too long. At first I was truly scared of them but eventually I became a pro at ignoring their calls.

If you do speak to one, never admit anything, and especially never admit a debt is yours. Also don't agree to pay anything without first getting the terms in writing.
Message 3 of 18
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Agree
Message 4 of 18
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

yes , I'm aware and educated, more interested if others have experience with this particular collector. Thanks
Message 5 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt is legit and you wish to discharge it, then communicating with them may result in more favorable terms, such as a settlement or PFD.

If one is good at negotiations and wishes to secure the best terms, a phone call could be the very best step.

However, the cautions to never admit to the debt or make any partial payments unless sure you can make them all are very sound, as you dont want to risk setting a renewed SOL>

Message 6 of 18
meljeff1
Contributor

Check out their BBB profile
Message 7 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Miller stark and klein

@Sbrooks1 wrote:
No voicemail but when call back get the Above

Miller Stark & Klein and Associates are debt collectors.

What happens when you apply for a mortgage is that inquiry triggers a notification to debt collectors that are subscribed to that service through the CRA's. 

They know they stand a better chance of collecting if you are going for a mortgage - on some accounts, but not all. They may tell you that they have to be paid in order for you to get a mortgage - DON'T LISTEN TO THEM.  The only person that can legitimately tell you that is the underwriter and/or LO at your lender. Sometimes (many times) paying very old debt will drop your score.

Don't panic. The CA's will say anything to get a payment from you - even if the debt is not legitimate. Not legitimate means a few things: already paid or doesn't belong to you at all or something else. Don't let them get under your skin. Check with your LO before you do anything. 

Message 8 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Two threads in different forums on same subject have been merged into one here in RYC. OP You have been warned about creating multiple threads on same subject several times before its against the TOS and if it continues it can lead to a suspension of your posting privileges so please stop doing it.
Message 9 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I was not aware that the CRAs had a policy permitting debt collectors to obtain a credit report whenever a consumer's credit report added an inquiry by another party, such as a mortgage lendor.

If they do in fact have such a policy, it would seem to violate the permissible purpose requirment of FCRA 604, which requires that any party must provide a statement of current permissible purpose before they can obtain a credit report.

Yes, a debt collector, if they currently have collection authority, can request a credit report.

However, collection authority is not perpetual, and I question the ability of the CRA to assume continued permissible purpose by a debt collector whenever another party makes an inquiry for a credit report on a given consumer.  They are not entitled to know the content of a consumer file without FIRST showing current permisible purpose.

Is there any public statement by the CRAs of such a policy?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.