cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mission: Credit Rebuild. Destination: Garden.

tag
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Mission: Credit Rebuild. Destination: Garden.

Starting a thread so I can track everything I'm doing and have done to get these collections taken care of.

FAKO Scores and the baddies as of 2/8/13:

Experian: 485 - 8 collections, 2 CO.

TransUnion: 503 - 6 collections, 2 CO.

Equifax: 590 - 0 collections, 2 CO, 1 collection reporting as "factoring company" and reporting 120+days late.

Collections:

• Sonnenschein - 2 collections $500 each / **not mine** / only on Experian -- Disputed with Experian. Deleted!
  • NCO - 5 collections: $212, $212, $1,062, $637, $1,000 / Tollway Violations - PAID TOLLWAY / TU & Experian -- Disputed with TU & Experian. Deleted!
  • Midland Credit Management: $1,616 / T-Mobile bill / Experian & TU -- Sent PFD (in full) CMRR 3/5/13. It's been 10 days since I've sent the PFD, no reponse as of 3/14. 4/12/13: PAID!!!! Smiley Happy Now the GW process for removal begins.

Charge-Off's

• CFNA: $790 balance. CO June 2011. CA Alliance One collection on behalf of CFNA but not reporting. Offered settlement $490.  3/6/13 -- Paid settlement of $490, contacted CFNA and they are reporting the account as CO paid in full. **will send GW in hopes of deletion**
  • 1st Financial Bank: $5,657 balance / $3,487 past due / $4,900 limit / CO 2011-- this will be the last debt I will attack since it is my largest and they haven't contacted me in a while. I don't want to wake a sleeping dragon.I believe they still own the debt as no CA has contacted me or reported it. Update (3/26/13): 1FBUSA reported derogetory information on my CR so I gave them a call to set up a payment plan. I'm on a 6 month payment plan for $125/month. In 6 months, I receive a letter, reevaluate my financial situation and set up a new payment plan hopefully paying more monthly. Slowly but surely it'll get paid down.

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Re: My credit rebuilding journey. Destination: Garden.

Accounts with no lates:

• Best Buy (Capital One now):Limit: $1,305 / Balance: $381 (as of 2/28/13)  / Age: 5 years
  • Victoria's Secret (Comenity Bank): Limit $350 / Age: New account

Accounts with late payments:

• Ally (car loan installment) Starting loan amount: $16,594 / Balance: $5,937 (as of 2/28/13) / Age: 9/2008 - 4 years  / Lates: 11 / Last late: 2/2012
  • Capital OneLimit: $500 Balance: $4 (as of 2/28/13) Age: 5 years / Lates: 1 / Last late: 2/2012
  • Orchard Bank (Capital One now): Limit: $300 / Balance: $0 (as of 2/28/13) Age: 12/2009 - 3 year / Lates: 3 (two 30 days, 1 60 day) / Last late: 1/2012

Accounts closed by credit grantor:

• GMAC: (car loan installment) Balance: $7,756 / Payment Status: Paid as agreed / Close due to paying car off.
  • GECRB/American EagleLimit: $125 / Balance: $0 / Payment status: Paid as agreed / No late payments
  • GECRB/Care CreditLimit: $1,400 / Balance: $0 / Payment Status: Was past due 90 days / Closed due to being 90+ day late / Was open till PIF then closed.

** Currently using 107% (yes... you read that right, I'm cringing just typing this) of my credit as of 2/8/13 before I paid off anything** 

Message 2 of 95
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

No regrets.

How did I get here?

Well, I hate to throw my sob story in your face but it's the truth and how this all went downhill. Up until 2011, I had fantastic credit. 718 was my highest score I believe and for a 21 year old... that was pretty great for me. In May of 2010,after my father was let go from his job, I borrowed my parents $2500 (I took cash out from a credit card because it was literally my only option) to put a deposit on a rental townhome and to purchase a beater car. My father was paying me monthly payments to help pay the debt off. In Febuary of 2011, my elderly father was diagnosed with cancer. He went into a nursing home so he could have care 24/7. I then was in charge of taking care of elderly mother who's only form of income was her monthly disability check of $400something. My father's social security checks had been signed over to the nursing home/hospital to help take care of his medical bills. I was working two part time jobs, trying to take care of my bills, my mother and their rented townhome. From February 2011-November 2011, my life spiraled out of control. By November, I had lost both of my parents, was nearly homeless and barely making enough money to pay for food, let alone worry about my credit/debt.

I absolutely do not regret doing everything I had to to take care of my parents.

I know I got myself into this credit "mess" and now that I'm back on my feet, I am busting my ass trying to get back on track. In March of 2012, I was finally able to start making regular, on time payments but unfortunately for some of my accounts it was too late for that. I didn't have the money at the time to worry about them so I was paying the ones that would benefit me to pay at the time. I got a full time job (also March of 2012) and from then on I was making payments on my open accounts on time every month. Because of my lovely full time job, I had the biggest tax return I've had yet and paid off $2,048 in debt this month (I paid off two credit cards, one down to 30% and one collection). *Sigh of relief* While that is a good chunk, I still have a long way to go and a lot to pay off.

I'm only 23 so I'm hoping by the time I am ready to purchase a home, my credit will be repaired completely and I won't have anything to worry about.

Any suggestions, advice, criticism.... throw it my way. I'm trying to learn as much as I can (and already have learned SO much from these forums) but I am young and don't know much about much of anything Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 95
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 95
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Small victories are still victories!!

Today, I was instantly approved for a Victoria's Secret store card with a CL of $350!! I was very hestiant on whether the shopping card trick would work or not, but it did! Smiley Happy So excited to get another positive TL reporting on my file!

Message 5 of 95
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your family.  But I'm proud of the way you're handling it.  Hang in there, you're doing great!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 95
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Sorry to hear about your family.  But I'm proud of the way you're handling it.  Hang in there, you're doing great!

Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 95
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Yes! Sounds like you're going to make a strong -- and very well organized -- recovery. Good for you.

Losing both parents in such a short time must have really thrown you for an emotional loop as well as a financial one.

Message 8 of 95
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Denied. Denied. Denied.

3/4/13: Well, I wrote to Capital One via snail mail AND e-mailed the executive office. Got a call from the EO today.Denied. She claims "Capital One does not do Goodwill Adjustments because it would not be reporting accurately as required and that if there was anything she could do for me (wrote about how I lost both my parents two months apart at the time of the one missed payment in 6 years) she would do but unfortunately there is nothing."

Very discouraging... but I will not give up. My account will be flagged with this missed payment until 6/2018. Smiley Surprised

I guess I will see if anything comes from the written letter. In a few weeks, I'll try again.

Message 9 of 95
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Not backing down.

3/5/13: Sending a written letter to Capital One's Financial Corporate Office and to GE CRB / Care Credit for goodwill adjustments on late payments. *fingers crossed*

Message 10 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.