Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderate Risk Public Trust with Charge Offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moderate Risk Public Trust with Charge Offs

Hi everyone, 

I stumbled across this forum while searching for stories of people being able to obtain a public trust with bad credit. Long story short, my credit has had multiple charge offs over the past two years due to having to assist my family financially while my dad was struggling with cancer. It wasnt something I wanted to do as up until that point, I always had excellent credit. It came down to ensuring the family had a house and food over paying credit cards and a student loan. It got to the point of me considering bankruptcy, but I didnt want people thinking I wasnt wanting to pay my debts. In hindsight, I wish I had contact the card companies and asked for assistance, but I was too embarrased to do so. I have been able to settle most of the charge offs over the past year, and have four that I have payment arrangements set up with the collection agencies for. When I filled out my SF85P, I disclosed all accounts and gave the reason for the deliquency as well as the payment arrangements that are underway. I want to be able to show that I am working towards handling the balances as my credit health is very important to me. I am hoping this will mitigate the risk as this clearance is for my dream job. Do any of you have similar stories with successful outcomes, or advice? Thank you in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Moderate Risk Public Trust with Charge Offs

I dont know anything about security clearance and such. I'll just say congrats on getting your credit back in order and it appears your doing the right steps to get back on your credit feet. Keep up the good work. From what I read about your subject matter. If you explained everything that led to the credit hiccups they wont have a problem with. Its the ones that try to hide stuff and not reveal it. Same as when I did crossover training for the Sherrifs Dept to be a SWAT/Tactical Medic. Talk about background checks. Whoa. Here's to getting your dream job. Good luck. Someone will chime in. Welcome to the forums!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, Medic! I listed everything on the paperwork that I could find. I want them to see I have nothing to hide, nor do I have an issue discussing the reason for falling behind. I can't be the only person who chose family first in a situation like this. I would hate being passed over because of it. Other than the credit issues, I am clean as a whistle. 

Message 3 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I was actually in a similar situation for my current job. I was in college, working only part time with 40k in credit, had to use that credit to help my family. Long story short, I applied, disclosed everything and wrote a letter detailing the circumstances, and they gave me the green light.

I think as long as you're honest and have a legitimate reason for the debt, you're fine. Especially since you already paid some things off and have payment plans in place for the rest. You're further along on the rebuilding than I was when I initially applied. Of course by now I've paid some things off as well and have payment plans in place for the remaining accounts.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, Omar! I am hoping that they will see it that way. I have done everything I can think of to correct the issue as best as I can to this point. I hope to never have this happen again. It definetely made a rough time even more difficult, but hey, at least there is nowhere to go except up from credit rock bottom. 

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

All federal position descriptions include a specification of the level of public trust associated with the position as an element of the job description.

I assume that the job you are applying for is one that has a public trust sensitivity based on some financial or feduciary responsibility associated with the position, and not necessarily the need for a national security clearance (confidential, secret, top secret).

Each position that has public trust factors is treated by the agency posting the vacancy announcement differently, based on their own needs.

Some may have specific evalaution criteria, such as no unpaid delinquent debt, and particularly charge-offs or collections, while others may permit substantial discretion on the part of the agency in evaluation of whether or not you satisfy the public trust requirments.

The personnel/human resources office of the agency should be able to answer specific questions regarding their criteria.

I would suggest contacting them if you have specific concerns relating to a given vacancy announcement.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.