Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mom's medical debt, not yet in collections

tag
Shokk
Established Contributor

Mom's medical debt, not yet in collections

Hope this is the right place for this one.

My mom has run into a situation.  Her husband is a retired police officer and she is on social security.  So fixed income and doing good to get by as is.  They have a combined bill that's close to $5000.  They had been paying a total of $60 a month, but just can't afford it anymore (Home repairs kinda wiped them out).  The bill was supposed to be paid by insurance, but something got screwed up.  I'm still working on getting those details, and told her to attack that angle first to try and get it paid.  They had tried before to no avail.  The debt originated in September of 2009.

So the last letter they received stated if they didn't receive a payment within 10 days (they stopped making payments in July), that it would be turned over to collections.  I've read other threads where people have mentioned asking for assistance, but not sure where to start.  She's had multiple phone conversations with the OC and they've never mentioned anything.  Any guidance on where to start?  Who she should speak to?

They live here in Texas so I'm not concerned about wages being garnished.  What's the worst that could happen if they were sued and a judgement was obtained?  I'm just not sure how medical debt differs from credit card type debt.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Mom's medical debt, not yet in collections

Normally, the hospitals won't tell you they offer financial assistance.  You have to ask.

If the hospital is close enough go to their billing department and ask about it.  Be honest, insurance, for what ever reason didn't pay, they are on a fixed income, want to pay the debt but just cannot.  Ask them if there is any assistance they can apply for.

If there was a judgment, they could claim insolvency.  Hopefully the hospital won't do that.

ETA:  Since SOL in TX is 4 years across the board, the SOL has run on the debt and they cannot get a judgment.

Message 2 of 4
Shokk
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

ETA:  Since SOL in TX is 4 years across the board, the SOL has run on the debt and they cannot get a judgment.

I assumed 4 years as that's the SOL across the board in Texas.  I presume they've been making payments over the last 4 years, so was unclear as to how that affects SOL on a medical debt.  Technically they weren't behind until July.  So then it starts from the day the bill becamse due?

Thanks as always, guiness.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, the day the bill was due.  I will have to double check but I am thinking making payments in TX doesn't restart the SOL.  I am not sure.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.