cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Score Update - Raised over 50 points!

tag
Chicago1227
Established Member

Mortgage Score Update - Raised over 50 points!

HUGE thanks to this forum; I started off with some bad stuff on my credit report, and my middle score was 582 in the beginning of May. I sent out dispute letters to every bad account, had my parents add me as an AU to their CITI, and paid down 2k of credit card debt.

Since then:

1) Had a Jefferson Capital collection deleted.

2) I had an old DFAS goverment overpayment that was being reported as a collection removed. 

3) West Elm/Comenity Bank did a goodwill deletion of a May 2017 30 day late - but this one was just changed back to late? Thankfully, I scanned the letter from them, and I will challenge w the CB. Any ideas here?

4) Two chargeoffs from USAA in 2014 - DELETED! I have NO CLUE how this happened, but I just got an alert on Credit Karma that they were deleted from Equifax. I assumed these would be my white whale, but hey, I will just be happy over this. One was PIF in 2016, and I was on a payment plan for the other. I sent in the disputes as long shots, but they worked! 

As of June 23, my middle score is now 635 (Equifax), and I have a closing date (VA Loan) on July 25th. Still some time, so I am not celebrating yet - but thanks to the help of this forum, I raised my MORTGAGE score over 50 points in six weeks.  THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!! 

8 REPLIES 8
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Re: Mortgage Score Update - Raised over 50 points!

Nicely done! Good Luck with your upcoming closing!

Message 2 of 9
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congrats and good luck with your closing!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on your closing!

Can you PM the address you used for Comenity? I've been trying the past few months and have yet to get them to budge.

Message 4 of 9
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

Wow, nice work. It took me a couple years to boost mine that much.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s great. It’s encouraging to see so many success stories with deletions and report cleanups. Almost makes me think that even the lenders think the reporting length standards are too long, after all it’s costing them customers too.
Message 6 of 9
Chicago1227
Established Member

I called the West Elm comenity phone number listed on the account page and asked for a supervisor; I explained that I was trying to obtain a mortgage, and asked if they would delete the late payment. Within a few days, I had a letter from them confirming the delete, and I had my lender send it over ASAP to the CBs to update.

Message 7 of 9
Chicago1227
Established Member

Thanks everyone: to give you an idea, other than the late West Elm, almost everything in my report that was bad was over 4 years old. I was fortunate I also had a ton of good stuff (nine years of ontime mortage payments, eight years of on-time for my NFCU credit card, etc), so the jump was pretty quick. I was also lucky to find a lender who was able to work with me and help coach me through this - This was a TON of hustle, ton of research etc - but it was worth it!

May 8th Mortgage scores:

EQ 580 / TU 602 / EX 552

July 8th Mortgage scores:

EQ 645 / TU 659 / EX 629

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! My husband and I are in this situation now.  Your post give us hope  Smiley Happy we are in the low 500's.  Our rental needs major work and the owners have asked us to move in 60 days. Since the rents in our area seem to be higher than mortgages right now, we've decided to give homeownership a try with a VA loan. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.