Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage score data and rebuild questions

tag
House2021
Established Contributor

Mortgage score data and rebuild questions

I just had my paid an $8400 charge off report as $0/settled, it changed my utilization from 84 percent to 76 percent, I also had 4 of 8 collections removed, this boosted my middle mortgage score from 632 to 651. These are the charge offs remaining:

Barclay $3000 (settled 40 percent)

NFCU $8300 (paid 20 percent to settle) 

TD/Target $1000ish (paid $350) 

kohls/Capital One $1355 (they refuse to let me pay it at all) 

I also have a Toyota repo $4400/$8000 (they also won't take my money, are assigning it for settlement review)

4 paid PRA collections that I'm waiting to have removed.

I have $5900 available credit on 4 open cards/AZEO - $9

I'm waiting to get to 680 to buy new construction before the last lots are sold out. Do you think the PRA collections coming off (I will have zero collections remaining) and the big NFCU reporting 0 balance will  raise my mortgage score the 29 points I need?(asking about those specifically as they will likely be quickest to report I believe) By the way, how long does it take for NFCU to report settled after payment received?

For data trackers, the $8000 charge off that just reported $0 resulted in Fico 8 gains of +7 for Transunion, +1 for Experian, and a -4 point drop from Equifax.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage score data and rebuild questions

I dont remember if you have filed complaints on Kohls or the repo for refusing to do anything. If you have not now is the time to do so, the repo people will be speeded up to do something with a complaint. I would make your offer of settlement with the complaint as what you will accept as resolution

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I settle my navy federal (it had a 15533 balance, I paid 7456). It did NOT bring my balance down to a zero. It only brought it down what I paid. I paid it March 31st and it's almost May and I don't have a zero balance yet. 

Message 3 of 12
House2021
Established Contributor

Wow that's terrible! I've been waiting two weeks already, still hasn't updated to zero, I'm super eager to get my credit fix before the new construction sells out, they only have a few left.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's been 2 weeks, call them and have them send you the ROD letter. The letter will help proving that you no longer are legally responsible for the debt and they can run it thru a simulator and adjust your credit from what I hear. 

Message 5 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I settle my navy federal (it had a 15533 balance, I paid 7456). It did NOT bring my balance down to a zero. It only brought it down what I paid. I paid it March 31st and it's almost May and I don't have a zero balance yet. 

Settlements can take up to 60 days to fully report. You're barely at 30 days. Most creditors seem to do that thing where they first deduct your settlement amount from the outstanding balance in the first update, then zero out the remaining balance in the second update the following month.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes it takes longer than you think. This was my experience with Cap1:

I had a CO about 3 years old for 6k. Arranged to pay 65%, or 4k.

Cap1 reported on the 17th of the month for me. They also hold all CO payments 22 (yes, 22!) long days until crediting it to the account. In my case, the 22 day delay barely pushed past the reporting date. So let's say I paid on the 1st of February. Cap1 reported on Feb 17 as still in CO mode with a 6k balance.

Now, Feb 22 arrives, and on the Cap1 site it says I now owe 2k. Still shows as CO. March 1 arrives, and the CRA's now report the debt as 2k, still a CO though.

On Mar 17, Cap1 reported a zero balance. On the CR it read "legally settled for less." The balance showed as "---", finally.

My point is, it took a month and a half + from the day I paid Cap1 to when it was "fixed." 

Message 7 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The FCRA requires creditors report accurate info but it doesnt define a time period. Reporting monthy is a relatively new phenomenon, creditors used to report every 90 days so 90 is what I would allow for accurate reporting.

Message 8 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

My feeling is you can get rid of all Co's except one, and that one is going to hold you back a lot. That's what happened with me and Cap1. The good news is when that last one shows zero I bet you'll get at least 25 pts

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing the balance with the credit bureaus could possibly speed up the process. You can say something like "settlement reached and balance should be zero".

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.