Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving on Up!

tag
lizmariposa
New Contributor

Moving on Up!

So, things have come a long way since the days my credit score was 433. My credit is now 700+, and prime credit card offers are coming in the mail quite regularly. It's about that time of the year for me where credit inquiries will drop, and I will close a no longer needed card and get a better one. For now, I am closing my Indigo mastercard. For only $300 credit limit and a $99 annual fee, this is definitely not needed anymore. The other cards I have are Merrick, and Capital One Platinum and the Quicksilver. 

An interesting thing is that I referred my husband to Capital One, to help him with his credit as he has a few negative marks and stuff. His credit is lower than mine -- at fair. But Capital One decided to give him a $3,000 increase, and have left my Quicksilver at $600. I know, I know. Everyone claims they have some formula, some thing or another. But I have no negative marks, and no late payments. I've often seen people claim credit cards and companies can be sexist, and it does make me wonder. We both write down the same household income for this, so that can't be it. 

Anyway. I'm probably going to apply for the Chase Freedom Unlimited, and just bucket the Capital One ones, as they have bucketed me. Moving on is the sane advice from ProudMoney on YouTube, and I will take it. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Moving on Up!

What did your husband's scores/report look like when he first opened that Capital One card? I ask because Cap One is known to "bucket" their starter cards and doesn't let them grow much. I'm assuming your QS was obtained when you were still rebuilding? If so, and if your husband got his when his scores were maybe in the mid-high 600s with minor negatives, then that might explain why his card got an increase and yours didn't.

BTW congrats on closing the subprime cards. It's refreshing!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
lizmariposa
New Contributor

Thank you! I guess to answer your question, I got my Platinum when I had poor to maybe low end of fair credit. But I got my Quicksilver when I was already in the 690s. They gave me a $500 CL to start with, moved me to $600, and had left me there. I later referred my husband to them, got my $100 bonus... and he was started at $300, and then they moved him on up immediately to $3,000 after not even 6 months, I think. 

In any case, the myFICO gods have heard my pleas, and as of this morning, my Quicksilver CL has been increased to $3,100. Smiley Happy I'll make sure to light them a candle and leave them a bucket of fried chicken. (Old reference to the movie Major League.) 

Message 3 of 5
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Yeah, I would of closed that Indigo card as well. Good choice. A $300 credit limit with a $99 annuel fee for sure is not needed. Congratulations on raising your credit from 400 to the 700s.

I don't have a special formula but I have seen people in the past e-mail Capital One executive office and that will prompt  them to give you a call and you can explain your situation to them. I have heard of people on this forum that get CLI from calling in. You can always a CLI every few months and see if you get approved. Capital One loves to see a lot of usage before giving increases, have you been using that card often compared to others that you have? That could be a main factor. I have 2 Capital One credit cards (A Quicksilver with a $500 credit limit and a Venture with a $4,000+ limit. I have had the Quicksilver ever since coming out of high school and it's still the same limit compared to my Venture which is much newer).

Message 4 of 5
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Update: Congratulations on the increase from $600 to $3,100. Just saw your post, enjoy Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.