Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Building Saga

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Credit Building Saga

Trying to establish my credit to purchase a house but cant seem to catch a breakMan Sad.  I have no collections and 1 judgement on EQ & TU due to fall off in January. I'm an AU on my wifes FPB (which only shows up on EQ & TU and is 2 yrs old) but she had 120/late a year ago but had beeen paid as agreed since then and a Fresh Start account with Fingerhut(about 3 months old). Cap1 keeps denying me Discover IT counter offered me a secured card which I may just go ahead and get. At my age I wish I would have started in my 20's to establish my credit instead of paying cash for everything.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Building Saga

I would go with the Discovery secured card, it has the same benefits as the unsecured.

Message 2 of 18
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Trying to establish my credit to purchase a house but cant seem to catch a breakMan Sad.  I have no collections and 1 judgement on EQ & TU due to fall off in January. I'm an AU on my wifes FPB (which only shows up on EQ & TU and is 2 yrs old) but she had 120/late a year ago but had beeen paid as agreed since then and a Fresh Start account with Fingerhut(about 3 months old). Cap1 keeps denying me Discover IT counter offered me a secured card which I may just go ahead and get. At my age I wish I would have started in my 20's to establish my credit instead of paying cash for everything.

Perhaps the judgement is holding you up from making your scores grow? I've read on here that some of them can reage indefinitely, so you might want to attempt to get the vacated if that's allowed in your state. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Building Saga (Update)

Received a letter in the mail today from Comenity. I had to call the Protection Team and verify my info.....APPROVED for a JCrew store card. Finally!!!!!!!!!! Now i'm gonna just sit for the next 6 moths and see how my score grows

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Whitneyy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps the judgement is holding you up from making your scores grow? I've read on here that some of them can reage indefinitely, so you might want to attempt to get the vacated if that's allowed in your state. 

That is what I was thining as well. I got an updated report from TU today and it stated the judgement should drop around November. It would be great if there was a way I could get it off sooner.

Message 5 of 18
Ambular1304
Contributor

I would call TU and ask for an "early exclusion"  don't say deletion. From what I have read TU is easier to deal with, and if you get one rep who says nowe don't do that, just keeping calling until you get one who will. I'm personally still trying to do that as well. Also I guess EQ will be harder to deal with. Good luck!!

Message 6 of 18
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

You can get it off sooner contact Transunion and ask for an early exclusion. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update.......Its been a long journey but I am definitely on my way to the 700 club. My judgment is gone along with the AU card that showed 120+ lates. I have 4 tl (VS $500, JCrew $250, Fingerhut $200 and Total Visa $300) AAOA 4 months (oldest acct 1yr newest 1 month), Total UTI 13%-22%, no baddies, no lates. I'm now going in the garden until my INQ's fall off. Now its time to get all these outdated addresses off my report. Since they aren't attached to any tl it shouldn't be that hard.

I mostly use my Visa close to the limit yet always pay it down to between 15-25% before it reports. I switch back n forth between the JCrew and VS only charging $30 to $40. Fingerhut I charge $30 a month then pay it down to $10 before it reports.

Since my VS, Total Visa & Fingerhut (which just graduated from the freshstart program) are all new tl within the last 2 months I figured I better wait til Feb to go for a either Barclay, Discover IT or Amex.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Update.......Its been a long journey but I am definitely on my way to the 700 club. My judgment is gone along with the AU card that showed 120+ lates. I have 4 tl (VS $500, JCrew $250, Fingerhut $200 and Total Visa $300) AAOA 4 months (oldest acct 1yr newest 1 month), Total UTI 13%-22%, no baddies, no lates. I'm now going in the garden until my INQ's fall off. Now its time to get all these outdated addresses off my report. Since they aren't attached to any tl it shouldn't be that hard.

I mostly use my Visa close to the limit yet always pay it down to between 15-25% before it reports. I switch back n forth between the JCrew and VS only charging $30 to $40. Fingerhut I charge $30 a month then pay it down to $10 before it reports.

Since my VS, Total Visa & Fingerhut (which just graduated from the freshstart program) are all new tl within the last 2 months I figured I better wait til Feb to go for a either Barclay, Discover IT or Amex.

Good for you! Also check the capital one prequal site to see if they have something for you, they are very generous for rebuilders, and if you have zero negatives on your report you will likely get approved even with a thin file. Way to keep it together through the process!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good for you! Also check the capital one prequal site to see if they have something for you, they are very generous for rebuilders, and if you have zero negatives on your report you will likely get approved even with a thin file. Way to keep it together through the process!

Every time I've tried Capone I got denied....I have over 20+ INQ in the last 2 yrs (about 11 in the last year and about 5 in the last 6 months) and they seem to base their decision off EQ even though they pull from all 3. So I figure if I wait til some of the INQ fall off then Capone will approve me. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.