Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Crawl

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Crawl

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Personally speaking, a lot of the advise I have received her really stung. Being told to garden, as opposed to being told where the candy is being given out, is not that exciting. It is, however what I needed, and you need, to hear.

Exactly this! It is very hard to wait sometimes (I know this all too well) but gardening is its own job. Keeping track of your scores, maintaining your existing cards and educating yourself by reading these boards (and interacting with the rest of us credit junkies!) can help the time pass faster for you as you garden.

You've got several CLIs to look forward to in the near future, so it's not all just waiting and waiting!

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly this! It is very hard to wait sometimes (I know this all too well) but gardening is its own job. Keeping track of your scores, maintaining your existing cards and educating yourself by reading these boards (and interacting with the rest of us credit junkies!) can help the time pass faster for you as you garden.

You've got several CLIs to look forward to in the near future, so it's not all just waiting and waiting!

I work in an industry where credit is previlant (car sales & finance) I'm lucky to have mentors working along side me who offer advice and reading this board has helped tremendously. I am looking forward to my CLI as they come and to researching new cards as my scores increase. I'm setting new goals for score increases and picking up tips anywhere I can.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I have learned a wealth of information from this site, so for that I owe you all a big thank you! Anyway, I was a broke college student at one time with a strong credit score, I took advantage of several cards and once college was over and I could not find adequate work I let the few charge cards I had go to collections. That was around 8 years ago and until now have had no credit to speak of. I bought a car and the reporting of it being paid (now paid off) gave me a small boost. I was sitting in the mid 400's for the duration of the loan,  however, all in one month, the loan was paid off, reporting paid and closed, the 4 charge cards fells off as did 2 medical collections. I finally breached the 500s, now sitting at 550 (EQ)

I was thrilled and with my newly acquired credit began opening small cards, being an adult with financial responsibility and a well paying job, I know I am up for the task of responsible managment. I opened the following cards:

Cap One Platinum - $500 (3 mos ago)
First Premier Platinum - $300 (1 mo ago)
Merrick Bank Platinum - $500 (1 mo ago)
Cap One Quicksilver - $300 (1 mo ago)
Indigo Platinum - $300 (1 mo ago)
Fingerhut - $230 (this month)

My current card utilization is reporting at 15% (I've heard the best number for this is around 8% utilization)

My questions are: Did I open too many lines? Should I open more? Is this the time to start gardening? Is there anything else I can do to increase my scores more effectively? 

I have been told the majority of these cards are just "garbage lines" in that they are not long term solutions for credit. The two Cap One lines will be good for awhile and the Merrick Bank line will be alright, but the others are terminal as far as Credit Line and will eventually need to be replaced by major cards. Any advice or tips would be warmly welcomed.

Cheers!

First, congratulations on your progress.  They are great people on these forums and I think you will gain a lot

and see your scores improve over time. You will.  If you open too many accounts in a short period of time, 

it will negatively effect your credit in a few ways; hard pulls = lower scores, and possible declines as a result

of too many inquiries.  ("why is this person desperate for so much credit..?") . Inquiries (hard pulls) stay on your

file for 2 years.  And when you go for a big lending item (car, house etc), it will be weird to have someone looking

at your file, counting all of those credit card inquiries..  I know..."for some reason..""  lol

Alright, let's get on with it!

Capital One started me with $500. My limit with them now, is $4000. It is the oldest card on my file. 

I note this because the length of your credit history makes up 15% of your credit score.

Ask yourself, 10 years from now, if one of these cards has the highest CL and the longest history, what would

happen to your score if you got rid of the card? (utilization is 30% of your score, history is 15%..) I think you know where

I'm going here.  There may be a legitimate reason to remove the card/s, but make sure it is strategical. (some mortgage lenders

requests borrowers to close certain accounts as a condition, I get it..) . The argument to get rid of Indigo at some point might

be compelling since they do not offer a CLI.

Did you know that nearly 2/3rds of your FICO score comes from 2 metrics? (payment history and utilization; 35%, 30%)?

Your utilization on those cards are at 15%? I believe, but getting them under 10%, should help a little.  Also, remember, one late

payment on one of those cards, could crush your score.

Looking at your card lineup, it would appear to me that the cards referenced as "garbage" are not garbage but

extremley powerful tradelines that, if not managed carefully, could ruin a person.  Late payments - 35% of your FICO will remain

on your credit file for 7 years, if I am correct.  An act of Congress cannot get them remove. Yes, a garbage card can destroy you.

Lastly,  10% of your FICO score is made up the mixture of our credit (Credit mix).  All of your credit, based I what I see is credit cards.

I am not suggesting you go out and get an installment loan, but this is a tradeline (auto loan, mortgage, personal loan, etc) that qualifies to

help with that mix.  Remember, the hard pull will pull your score down a few points if you go for an auto loan or any other installment 

loan.  (consider the pros and cons of the Self Lender)

I think you will be fine as long as you are careful not to run up your utilization and no lates.  Push for CLIs with Capital One; Fingerhut will auto CLI for you over time.

Best of luck!

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, congratulations on your progress.  They are great people on these forums and I think you will gain a lot

and see your scores improve over time. You will.  If you open too many accounts in a short period of time, 

it will negatively effect your credit in a few ways; hard pulls = lower scores, and possible declines as a result

of too many inquiries.  ("why is this person desperate for so much credit..?") . Inquiries (hard pulls) stay on your

file for 2 years.  And when you go for a big lending item (car, house etc), it will be weird to have someone looking

at your file, counting all of those credit card inquiries..  I know..."for some reason..""  lol

Thank you! I am glad to be apart of the community and look forward to one day offering advice based on my experiences that could potentially help someone who is in a boat similar to my own. I am kicking myself for getting so many inquiries. They've not shown up on my CR yet but I know they will in a week or two. I am holding off on any further inquiries for the time being.

Capital One started me with $500. My limit with them now, is $4000. It is the oldest card on my file. 

I note this because the length of your credit history makes up 15% of your credit score.

Ask yourself, 10 years from now, if one of these cards has the highest CL and the longest history, what would

happen to your score if you got rid of the card? (utilization is 30% of your score, history is 15%..) I think you know where

I'm going here.  There may be a legitimate reason to remove the card/s, but make sure it is strategical. (some mortgage lenders

requests borrowers to close certain accounts as a condition, I get it..) . The argument to get rid of Indigo at some point might

be compelling since they do not offer a CLI.

Which Capital One card do you hold? How long between CLI did you wait? Were they automatic or did you have to request them? I plan to close the Indigo as well as the FP cards once we reach the point of their AF payments.

Did you know that nearly 2/3rds of your FICO score comes from 2 metrics? (payment history and utilization; 35%, 30%)?

Your utilization on those cards are at 15%? I believe, but getting them under 10%, should help a little.  Also, remember, one late

I have auto payments set for all cards every month and I don't think I'll ever miss a single payment. But I do understand the importance of it.

Looking at your card lineup, it would appear to me that the cards referenced as "garbage" are not garbage but

extremley powerful tradelines that, if not managed carefully, could ruin a person.  Late payments - 35% of your FICO will remain

on your credit file for 7 years, if I am correct.  An act of Congress cannot get them remove. Yes, a garbage card can destroy you.

Lastly,  10% of your FICO score is made up the mixture of our credit (Credit mix).  All of your credit, based I what I see is credit cards.

I am not suggesting you go out and get an installment loan, but this is a tradeline (auto loan, mortgage, personal loan, etc) that qualifies to

help with that mix.  Remember, the hard pull will pull your score down a few points if you go for an auto loan or any other installment 

My next piece of credit will be a selflender line, I think, sometime down the road.

I think you will be fine as long as you are careful not to run up your utilization and no lates.  Push for CLIs with Capital One; Fingerhut will auto CLI for you over time.

Best of luck!

Cheers! Thank you for the reply and advice!

Message 14 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

HPs are the least of issues when it comes to scoring. True, excessive HP can cause denials, but in reality, most damage comes from excessive number of new accounts. 

I note this because the length of your credit history makes up 15% of your credit score.

Ask yourself, 10 years from now, if one of these cards has the highest CL and the longest history, what would   Nothing, unless it affects utilization. Closed account stays up to 10 years on CR and contributes to aging. OP's cards are almost identical in age and when they become dead ends, they can be safely closed. 

be compelling since they do not offer a CLI.  CLI is completely irrelevant when it comes down to paying AFs, monthly fees, fees to get CLI. A card that costs you money is not a keeper card. It's okay to start with, but should be gone when better opportunities present itself. Indigo is actually great compared to First Premier and even QS1 due to AF and being notoriously difficult to PC. 

Your utilization on those cards are at 15%? I believe, but getting them under 10%, should help a little.  Also, remember, one late  Nope, for maximum scoring benefit, individual and aggregate utilization should fall below 9%. At 10% there is already a scoring penalty, albeit a small one. It gets rougher when aggregate exceeds 9%, and starts getting really bad once 29% is exceeded 

extremley powerful tradelines that, if not managed carefully, could ruin a person 

Any card with missed payment will do that.   Late payments - 35% of your FICO will remain 

While lates can be difficult to remove, there are hundreds of examples of GW removal. I would not count at that as a way to remedy a late payment, but accurate info given to OP is also important.  Also, lates are not specific to card type.  Garbage or not, FICO does not care which card has a late. The end result is same. Anyway, autopay is a very effective in managing multiple cards. 

help with that mix. 

OP is enrolled in Fingerhut Fresh Start. It will report as installment till paid off. It's in the posts above. No need for them to run out and get another one. Remember, the hard pull will pull your score down a few points if you go for an auto loan or any other installment 

It's not just HP that will lower scores, it's fully utilized loan and damage to AAoA that will cause score drop at first. Those points are recovered as payments are made but again, OP already has a loan (unintentional, but same effect) 

Best of luck!

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios

Thank you for the clarity on some of those points, I can see you're one of the vital people around here with great advice. I always see your helpful posts and replies. Thank you.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small update - 2 cards I opened showed up, my UTL decreased to 5% and my score increased by 17 points, currently at 567 (EQ) time to sit back and watch it go up more!

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the score increase!

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the Product Change using the link posted here, but it says:

"Unfortunately, this upgrade is no longer available. This could be for a variety of reasons, including your account going into a default, restricted, closed, or changed status since we initially sent you this offer."

I opened the account in March.  They only gave me a $300 limit, and my score was higher...so, that's weird, but anyway...no matter.  My limit will be increasing in September.  Is that when I should do the product change...after that?

Message 19 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It happens. Just keep tryig 

Way back when I had mine, I tried PC link in the am and got that same message, tried in the pm, and got PC to QS 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.