Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Journey

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: My Journey

I've been regulary visiting various pre-qual websites for the last month or two, even though I'm gardening and have no intention of applying for anything new until 2020. I figure it's a good way to get a measure of my credit health. For the first time ever, yesterday the Amex prequal site offered me a Gold and a Green card - pretty cool! Tempting, but didn't take either one.

CapitalOne also pre-qual'd me for an auto refinance at 6% on my Kia (which is currently financed at 10%). That one was VERY difficult to turn down, because I do really want to refinance that car, but I just can't afford any more inquiries or new accounts right now, since I still feel like I'm skating on thin ice with Chase.

I'm hoping these pre-quals keep getting better and better as the months go by, so I can ultimately refi some stuff next year at much lower rates.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 21 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont think you need to wait 6 months to attempt car refinance 

While Chase can be neurotic at times, I think in your case 3 months later is just fine 

If you accept Cap One refinance, it's a single inquiry on each bureau, it's not like you'll get 15

Also, look into refinance through CU. No need to bleed money forever because of Chase. 

Message 22 of 40
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I dont think you need to wait 6 months to attempt car refinance 

While Chase can be neurotic at times, I think in your case 3 months later is just fine 

If you accept Cap One refinance, it's a single inquiry on each bureau, it's not like you'll get 15

Also, look into refinance through CU. No need to bleed money forever because of Chase. 

Thanks! I may try to do the refi in September, then. That's when the multitude of inquiries from the initial car purchase will be a year old, and also I'm hoping my scores will be closer to 700 by then, so maybe I'll get better rates by holding out til then.

Message 23 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

September sounds good. Saving money even better

Again, with pre approval with Cap one, you're only getting a single pull on each CRA

If you go with CU, most likely single pull on one CRA. 

Is there anything else you can do about derogs (saw that in your sig) or is done deal now? 

Message 24 of 40
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Is there anything else you can do about derogs (saw that in your sig) or is done deal now? 

I've written Good Will letters for all of them, but I ultimately decided not to send them off for the time being. I would need to get all 8 of them removed before it would really benefit my scores at all, and if I only succeed in getting some (not all) of them removed then it might actually hurt my scores by dragging down my credit age.

Since my scores have been improving pretty steadily lately, and I've been getting approvals and preapprovals for some pretty good stuff already, I decided it isn't worth stressing out about the old derogs at this point.

Message 25 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I've written Good Will letters for all of them, but I ultimately decided not to send them off for the time being. I would need to get all 8 of them removed before it would really benefit my scores at all, and if I only succeed in getting some (not all) of them removed then it might actually hurt my scores by dragging down my credit age.

Since my scores have been improving pretty steadily lately, and I've been getting approvals and preapprovals for some pretty good stuff already, I decided it isn't worth stressing out about the old derogs at this point.

Sounds like you have a plan! 

Congrats on your progress and everything you've done so far. You got this! 

Message 26 of 40
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Thank you!

Message 27 of 40
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Well I think I've changed my mind about not sending the goodwill letters. After crunching the numbers, it doesn't make sense not to try my luck with them.

My AAoA is 5.2 years, with 27 accounts on my reports.

8 of those accounts are bad, and those have an average age of 6.0 years.

So that means that if I got ALL of them removed, my AAoA would only drop from 5.2 years to 4.8 years.

Even in the worst case scenario, where I only get the oldest bad accounts deleted and I can't get a couple of the youngest ones deleted, my AAoA only drops to like 4.6 years.

So I don't think the "risk" is nearly as severe as I originally thought. Luckily I saved all my Good Will letters that I typed up, I think next week I'll fire off the first batch and see what happens.

In other news, my TU Fico 8 hit 675 today Smiley Happy I'm getting closer to "prime" credit territory!

Message 28 of 40
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Good luck! I thought the same thing with goodwill letters and came to the same conclusion.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 29 of 40
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Good luck. I enjoy reading your posts since your scenario matches mine in so many ways.

I too have some old lines that would probably benefit from goodwill deletion.    I am where you were however: the benefits do not outway the negatives (time and trouble mostly).  Especially since I have tried in the past to remove them.

However, bear in mind, disregarding the AAoA hit, how confident are you that some of those old items are really having on your score?  A 6 year negative is so different from a 6 month negative.  Especially, when you consider the negative that matters MOST is the one that you get removed LAST.  Thats where the time value question comes in.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.