Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rebuild So Far

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Rebuild So Far

I've made some great progress, but I've also shot myself in the foot at the same time.  At the end of the day, it has not been perfectly executed, but I am definitely in a better spot now than I was when I started my rebuild in May.

I have seen a 53 point increase in Equifax, a 72 point increase in Transunion, and a 59 point increase in Experian.  Added inquiries have hurt me big time I think.  I have 31 inquiries on TU (**bleep**), and I think 18 on both Equifax and Experian.

Here's my current debt:

Blue Nile (Comenity) 688/2600 = 26.4%

Cap One QS1 362/800 = 45.2%

Military Star 280/2950 = 9.4%

Kohls (CapOne) 171/700 = 24.4%

Credit One 157/700 = 22%

Wayfair (Comenity) 0/2100 = 0%

Total Utilization = $1658/9150 = 18%

I understand that I need to work on paying down the higher utilization cards, and attempt to get my overall down to under 8.9 for max scoring.  This will take some time as I don't have a whole lot of extra income, especially after financing a car (See below)

Mortgage obtained beginning of June, I've paid off 1% so far lol

USAA Auto Loan, making my first payment of $345 on the 16th.  This is killing me, I apped when I had roughly a 600 score, and my interest rate is 18%.  Should I refinance with USAA (no cost in doing so, but will be an additional HP) seeing as my Experian score is now a 643 (roughly 40 points higher).  I figure I've already got 18 inquiries, what's another one...

Installment Debt

OneMain (Ughh) 2880/3195 = 90%

Park Community Credit Union (SSL) 9/750 = 1.2%

Negatives

Citi CO - Settled Debt, won't come off until roughly 7/2022

CapOne CO - Settled Debt, won't come off until roughly 7/2023

VA CO - PIF, won't come off until roughly 1/2020

GW Attempts at above 3 accounts have failed, and failed, and failed...

Kay Jewlers - Have not touched, won't come off until 10/2022

If you were in my shoes, what should I be doing differently?  As of right now, I'm just working on paying down my debts.  My goals are to achieve better credit cards down the road with higher limits, and I would love to refinance the OneMain loan as well as the auto loan.  Just keep chugging and see where my scores are at 6 months down the road?

8 REPLIES 8
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: My Rebuild So Far

Are some of the HP's from apping for the same thing, such as the car? If so, they may not be hurting you as much as you think as ones in a 30 day period get lumped and counted as one for the score. I would just sit tight get those utilizations down, particularly the ones that are higher and not charge anything new if possible. Let your accounts age and some of those inquiries pass a year. Not ideal on the car interest, but you already have it so you may come out better just eating that for the short term until you can get your utilization down which should help your scores along with some account aging. This may let you qualify for a much better rate once you do refinance it. Might not get much better in the 640's than what you have now.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, a lot of the inquiries are from multiple attempts at purchasing a car (one inq from USAA, multiple from another dealer, and then some from last year I think).  I've also applied for personal loans from many lenders to try and get rid of OneMain.  And I've also tried getting better cards, on multiple occassions.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to follow it!

Message 3 of 9
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Hey Pursell,

I guess I have 2 questions for ya.

1.What is your minimum monthly payement for all of your collective debt?

2. Are you comfortably making at leaast your minimum monthly payments?

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tparks5961 wrote:

Hey Pursell,

I guess I have 2 questions for ya.

1.What is your minimum monthly payement for all of your collective debt?

2. Are you comfortably making at leaast your minimum monthly payments?

1. Total Minimum Monthly payments on ALL accounts (mortage, auto, personal loan, revolving credit)

$2010

Total Minimum payments on revolving accounts at this point in time

$115

2. I make at the very least double the minimum payment on my revolving accounts, and I make the standard payment on my OneMain personal loan, my USAA auto loan, and my mortgage.

Message 5 of 9
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

@pursell

Not sure what type of work you do and what your schedule is like??? But, Amazon is always hiring drivers. You can supplement your income for awhile to get things paid down....just food for thought.(it’s such an easy job!) I do it myself, here and there.

ATA: there are A LOT of extra things that people pay for and can live without for awhile OR hardly use(i.e. Netflix and such) Trust me I can do without Netflix for a few months just to throw extra money at something I know will benefit me 6 mos from now...(and then reactivate later on.) There’s ALWAYS something one can cut back on to help get into a better position in a few months. Even if it is just ONE THING! It just takes discipline and how badly they want something(?) to make the sacrifice..JMHO of course.😎

Congrats on you rebuilding thus far. Great progress!!👍
(I need those scores dang it🤣)

As stated already, bring UTL down and do not app/refinance until those numbers are in great shape....for best chance of approval and rate.

Best of Luck to you!

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 6 of 9
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

I guess the first thing you should be grateful for, is that you're actually in a very good spot. 

You already have home and a car. You can easily pay your bills every month. There really isn't a whole lot that you need to do in the near term that will require an excellent credit rating.

You have nothing but time on your side my friend. 

The first thing you should do is open 2 more credit card accounts.. Accounts that can grow with you.

#1 Secured Discover card

#2 Either a secured Citi card, or Bank of America Card.

The point of opening two more cards that can graduate and grow with you at this point,  is by the time you should start applying for credit (Two years or longer), the inquiries would have fallen off of your report.

Close accounts that you dont really need and pay them off 1 by 1. Don't be concerned about short term credit fluctuations. Having the closed accounts wont affect your AAoA and will prevent your from getting the urge to spend and get into a debt trap. The open lines that you have available can land you in trouble if you max out your accounts. 

Blue Nile (Comenity) 688/2600 = 26.4% (Pay Off and Close)

Military Star 280/2950 = 9.4% (Pay off and Close)

Kohls (CapOne) 171/700 = 24.4% (Pay off and Close)

Credit One 157/700 = 22% (Pay off and Close)

Wayfair (Comenity) 0/2100 = 0% (Close)

Total Utilization = $1658/9150 = 18%

Even if you close these accounts while in good standing, they can stay on your report for 10yrs or longer. I opened a JCP account in 1994 thats been closed for years, and its still on my report. The account is 24 years old and is having a very positive affect on my AAoA.

Three cards that will build your credit foundation would be your Capital one card, Discover Secured card, and Citi or Bank of america secured card.

Treat those three cards well over the next two to three years which is when other negative marks will start falling off your reports.. pay your bills on time and you'll be in an extremely good position to obtain top tier cards with high SL.

Again, your situation could be better but if you take proactive steps right now, it won't get any worse. Your situation if good as it is because you've already obtained a house and a car.. Slos and steady wins the race.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the encouragement!

@tparks5961 wrote:

I guess the first thing you should be grateful for, is that you're actually in a very good spot. 

You already have home and a car. You can easily pay your bills every month. There really isn't a whole lot that you need to do in the near term that will require an excellent credit rating.

You have nothing but time on your side my friend. 

The first thing you should do is open 2 more credit card accounts.. Accounts that can grow with you.

#1 Secured Discover card

#2 Either a secured Citi card, or Bank of America Card.

I have a Citi Charge Off that was settled mid last year, I wonder if they are forgiving, like Cap One (I have a CapOne CO as well).
I've heard great things about BOA.  So you are suggesting to go ahead an app for one or both of those, while I have all these inquiries, and then let them grow and let all of my inq fall off?

Are you suggesting closing the store cards strictly so I don't charge purchases to them, or are they hurting me in some way?

Thank you for your input!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to update my progress thread!  I have a few cards at $0 balance, have closed Credit One, and have lowered my aggregate UTI to below 8.9% (I believe, not sure how Credit One ties in)

Here's my current debt:

Blue Nile (Comenity) 337/4200 = 8%

Military Star 110/2950 = 4%

Kohls (CapOne) 0/700 = 0%

Wayfair (Comenity) 0/3700 = 0%

Total Utilization = $809/12350 = 7%

I closed my Credit One card, which was at $0 balance, but interest hit and the card reported closed with a $2 balance.  I'm not sure how that ties into my utilization

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.