Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My brother Opened a T-mobile account on his name BUT I GOT THE INQUIRY

tag
wilson382
New Contributor

My brother Opened a T-mobile account on his name BUT I GOT THE INQUIRY

My Brother filled in an electronic application for T-mobile using his information. He is nice guy and the application is not even for him its for one of his friend which is not going to pay the phone on time every month.

He put his social security, date of birth , address and full name.

My brother and I have the same address because we live together and my mother gave us the name name, the only difference in our name is the middle names.

for example I could be John A. Smith and he is John E. Smith the only different is the middle name which I only included the middle name initials. 

Like the subject says when he applied I got the Inquiry so I assume that if the account goes delinquent in the future the baddies/negative information goes to my credit report as well.

My brother has no credit history that means he doesn't even exist on a credit bureau, when he applied I guess T-mobile thought it was me, even thought the social security, date of birth and phone number provided on the application form did not match mine. 

......................This is what I have done....................

I sent a letter to dispute department of T-mobile and they replied that the application is legit because of the electronic signature of my brother. My brother signed electronically using his social security not mine, As well my brother has all document supporting his application. I called t-mobile and they say they can not do anything.

Equifax dispute told to contact T-Mobile.

What can I do ? I thought about going to court and like try to sue them I just want the inquiry removed and so that the new account my brother tried to open don't have anything to do with my credit report?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: My brother Opened a T-mobile account on his name BUT I GOT THE INQUIRY

File a FCRA complaint 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: My brother Opened a T-mobile account on his name BUT I GOT THE INQUIRY

If you have already disputed with the CRA, then you will need to provide additional info in order to have it considered.

The issue is that the CRA matched the closest personal identifiers that it had, which was apparently name and address.

However, as you pointed out, names and addresses are not always uniique.

However, SSN's are.  Apparently, they did not include your SSN with their inquiry, or if so, the CRA assumed it was incorrect.

I would proivde evidence of both your SSN and brother's, along with a statement by him that HE is the party who initiated the request, not you.

That would provide both a unique personal identifier, and a clear statement from the party who did initiate the business transaction that gave rise to the permissible purpose.

If that request fails, I would file a formal complaint with the CFPB prior to initiating any legal action.

That will show that you have exhaused the administrative remedies available to you, and strengthen any legal action.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.