Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit journey

Hi all,

I currently have a 588 score due to high balances. I recently opened a credit building account to lower my debt ratio. I am working on paying off my balances. Is there any other sound advice you can give for someone starting their credit journey.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: My credit journey

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I currently have a 588 score due to high balances. I recently opened a credit building account to lower my debt ratio. I am working on paying off my balances. Is there any other sound advice you can give for someone starting their credit journey.

When you say credit builder account, what is it exactly? 

Which other cards do you have? 

Derogatory info on your CR? 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No negative payments. Just high balance cards. I came up with a budget to pay them down. What I'm hoping to do is boost my score with my DsxDesign account since they added a $5,000 line to my credit, then do a balance transfer to a 0% apr card so I can consolidate my debt and pay it down. I guess my question would be, do they only look at debt ratio and payment history? I was thinking of doing my jewelers as well then once it updates go apply for a few balance transfer cards. 

Message 3 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If most of your cards are maxed or close to being maxed, decreasing aggregate utilization may not be enough to get you in a score range needed force decent BT card.
If you wish, you can list your cards with limits and balances, and the extra money you can put towards paying those.
You may get some constructive and actionable ideas that way.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I figured. I had to use my personal cards for my business in December, so it is a bit embarassing but I had no option at the time. 

Cap 1 Platinum Secured - Limit 500 Bal 483

Cap 1 Quicksilver - Limit 4000 Bal 3950

Discover - Limit 1700 Bal 1643

Chase Freedom - Limit 1500 Bal 1759

Starting June 1 I'll be able to pay $2k a month on each card. I'm wondering if I should tackle one at a time or split the 2k between all the cards

Message 5 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is what I figured. I had to use my personal cards for my business in December, so it is a bit embarassing but I had no option at the time. 

Cap 1 Platinum Secured - Limit 500 Bal 483

Cap 1 Quicksilver - Limit 4000 Bal 3950

Discover - Limit 1700 Bal 1643

Chase Freedom - Limit 1500 Bal 1759

Starting June 1 I'll be able to pay $2k a month on each card. I'm wondering if I should tackle one at a time or split the 2k between all the cards

Take care of Chase first, it's over the limit, followed by Quicksilver and Platinum. Leave Disco for last, they are a bit more tolerant of balances as long as you're making at least minimum payments. 

Personally, and I am sure this will vary from person to person, instead of gradually  dropping balances, I'd be putting entire $2k per card each month, less chance of being balance chased all the way down. 

I am surprised it did not start already 

Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.