cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit report is a nightmare! Help?

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: My credit report is a nightmare! Help?

@ptilda wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@ptilda wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@ptilda wrote:

The things we do for love... I was in a similar spot, but in OK, it's actually LEGAL for a husband to use the SSN of his wife to get an appartment for his new girlfiend, and there was nothing I could do. Your situation is fraud, and the fact that your father would do this to his child speaks volumes. He is probably like my ex, and no one has effectively stood up to him in the past, so he continues to do these things.

I would file the report, because the cost to you in the end will not be worth it. Of course, you could also dispute as not yours, and the'd have to prove that it was you who agreed and signed. You could "play dumb" and just say you don't know who it was, or be secifically vague. If you start there, it's up to the professionals to catch the perp...or not. And since it's your father, you might feel better about distancing yourself. But please don't accept this as something you have to take. It is he who victimized you knowingly and seemingly without concern for you. You have no obligation to keeping his secret at your own expense.

On the other hand, I ended up having to wait it out, and that wasn't as long as a time as I thought it would be. If you choose to take that path, there are things you can do in the meantime.

For one [getting on my soapbox], go to a bank or credit union, explain the situation and ask if they will set you up with a credit builder loan or something to help you show SOME responsible payments while you're waiting for this to go away.

Please do not tell him to dispute and play dumb.  He is well aware of who it is.  Not only is this a violation of the TOS of the forums, by lying he could face charges also.

And no, a dispute through the CRAs does not require proof he agreed and signed.

I never said to lie. I said if he submits it as not his account and leave it as that, who knows what infomation they'll ask for?

The CRAs don't ask for information.  It is either verified through the creditor or it isn't. 

"You could "play dumb" and just say you don't know who it was, or be secifically vague".

That is not telling the truth.

Neither is refusing to tell the truth that it's not his accounts.

I didn't say they were,  What you wrote, highlighted in red,  was indicating he should do otherwise.

Message 21 of 26
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@deaf wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

If the debt is your fathers, under his SSN, yes you can dispute it.

That is not to say it won't come back a verified.  You may need to do a written dispute and send ID for both you and your father to prove what you say.

I have several questions that I'd like to ask you guys. I hope you don't mind wasting your time answering these questions.  It is never a waste of anyones time to answer questions.

Is it possible for me to get secured credit cards to just rebuild my scores? Think Open Sky and First Process.  IMO, I would try to repair first.  There is a lot to take care of and I am not sure you would be approved for even a secured.How do I contact the collectors and ask for details on each account such as full name, social security, address, etc.? All of the OC accounts are closed and transferred to/brought by 'lenders', who are apparently collectors. I have to make sure -- is it 100% safe to contact the collectors or once I contact them and they know I exist, they will threaten to sue me (or my father)? Do you know what the SOL for suing is in your state?  If it is still within SOL, I would not do anything unless you can pay in full.  They could turn around and sue you.

I just got the settlement letter from the CA. My father wants to accept that settlement offer. I want to know your opinion on this. Just know that paying a collection will not improve your score.  The only sure way to do that is have it removed from your credit report.  You can try a Pay for Delete.

Is there a way to change the primary names on my credit reports? Is it safe? Are there risks included?  If the name switch is due to an error it is possible by contacting the CRAs and providing proof of identification for both of you.  Under those circumstances, there is no risk.

Should I go ahead and buy a myFICO membership? I already have USAA CreditCheck.

I'm sure I have other questions, but I obviously forgot them.

@p-

In my situation, I don't know if it's reasonable to get secured credit cards. If it is, I shouldn't freeze three files, right?

I really appreciate your help. Very informative. Thank you.

Message 22 of 26
monieleazenby
Established Member

I hope my post will help you. First question is, are you certain that this is not an error done by the credit reporting agencies? Did you allow your father to use your SS#? Most of us here are not aware of the laws the agencies are suppose to follow when reporting on your credit report. I was a victim myself. I had a Bankruptcy that didn't belong to me but to another person and I'm now in a lawsuit against Experian because of it. I can provide you with my Attorney's phone number if you would like to contact her after Jan 2nd she will be back from vacation. Depending on the Agency reporting this to your credit report they are suppose to verify all information not just SS# in terms of reporting correctly.

I recommend you contact my Attorney she will not charge you a dime and will pursue the credit reporting agency to fix your problem and sue them.

I'm sure she can provide you will the help you are looking for if you want her number email me she is great.

Do you have any damages from this as a result of your dad using your SS#? Any type of denials and so forth my attorney can help you in this case.

Kind Regards

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 26
deaf

@monieleazenby wrote:

I hope my post will help you. First question is, are you certain that this is not an error done by the credit reporting agencies? Did you allow your father to use your SS#? Most of us here are not aware of the laws the agencies are suppose to follow when reporting on your credit report. I was a victim myself. I had a Bankruptcy that didn't belong to me but to another person and I'm now in a lawsuit against Experian because of it. I can provide you with my Attorney's phone number if you would like to contact her after Jan 2nd she will be back from vacation. Depending on the Agency reporting this to your credit report they are suppose to verify all information not just SS# in terms of reporting correctly.

I recommend you contact my Attorney she will not charge you a dime and will pursue the credit reporting agency to fix your problem and sue them.

I'm sure she can provide you will the help you are looking for if you want her number email me she is great.

Do you have any damages from this as a result of your dad using your SS#? Any type of denials and so forth my attorney can help you in this case.

Kind Regards

Monie

In this situation, I don't really know. My father used my SSN without me knowing as well as my permission. I had always thought it was his until I started sending out work and college applications. He admitted that it's mine, and I didn't think it was a big deal until I got denied for several unsecured credit cards as well as some secured credit cards. To be honest, I think everything is based on my SSN, which is big challenge. I'd love to talk to your attorney because I really need more help.

Please PM me her e-mail address and phone number. I appreciate it! Thank you.

Message 24 of 26
monieleazenby
Established Member

I PM you if you have an additional questions feel free to ask away if I can help in any way I will Smiley Happy

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 26
p-
Valued Contributor

deaf wrote:  In my situation, I don't know if it's reasonable to get secured credit cards. If it is, I shouldn't freeze three files, right?

If there is any chance that your father would continue to use your SSN, you should freeze it.  If you want to get a secured card first, go ahead; but that is a much lower priority than locking and fixing your credit.  You can always temporarily thaw in the future if necessary.

As far as lawsuits, check into the SOL in your state.  If there is a large dollar amount, and it's not past SOL, odds are good that they will sue.  Better make sure you have the cash to pay them off before you start any negotiations.

As far as correcting the names on your report, I agree with Guiness.  Proof of ID for both of you should help you separate your file from his name.  

And don't worry about wasting our time, these kind of questions is what this board is for.  The only reason I know anything about this is because my credit was all jacked up and people here helped me sort it out.  Most everyone else is the same.

Good luck!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.