Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first post and recently discharged (3/12/15) Chapter 13 questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first post and recently discharged (3/12/15) Chapter 13 questions

First off, thank you to the mulitudes of people who have posted their personal experiences here and have shared their vast amounts of knowledge! I only wish I would've found this site a few years ago!!!!

I just recieved my chapter 13 discharge on 3/12/15 and I am seeking confirmation to a few question regarding charged off accounts that were included in my chapter 13. I have 2 accounts that have continued to report balances for the duration of my 13.  Now that I have received my discharge, ALL accounts should show a zero balance and IIB, even the charged off accounts that were included in the BK, correct? I have scoured this site for months and I believe the answer is yes, but wanted confirmation. Also, what is the best course of action in light of the discharge? To wait a few months to see if the accounts begin to report correctly or could I contact the OC's and advise of discharge, provide discharge documentation, and request correction? I would prefer to get the ball rolling rather than wait but I'm open to recommendations from the folks who have traveled this road and have suggestions based your experiences/results.

Wells Fargo holds one account and throughout my 13, on my Eqifax and Experian, there continued to be a balance/past due reported and when I contacted them directly, I was told it was reporting correctly (that was a VERY disheartening experience). Similar situation with American Honda Finance (although I didn't attempt to contact them after my wells fargo experience). Anyways, Any input is greatly appreciated and even if I get no feedback or suggestions.... It is an absolutely AMAZING feeling to be able to share that my chapter 13 is DISCHARGED!!!!!! Thanks again from the bottom of my heart to all of you guys that have shared your knowledge and experiences to help someone like myself get on the road to rebuilding!!!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My first post and recently discharged (3/12/15) Chapter 13 questions

@Anonymous wrote:

First off, thank you to the mulitudes of people who have posted their personal experiences here and have shared their vast amounts of knowledge! I only wish I would've found this site a few years ago!!!!

I just recieved my chapter 13 discharge on 3/12/15 and I am seeking confirmation to a few question regarding charged off accounts that were included in my chapter 13. I have 2 accounts that have continued to report balances for the duration of my 13.  Now that I have received my discharge, ALL accounts should show a zero balance and IIB, even the charged off accounts that were included in the BK, correct?  If they were IIB then yes they must report a 0 balance.  I have scoured this site for months and I believe the answer is yes, but wanted confirmation.

Also, what is the best course of action in light of the discharge? To wait a few months to see if the accounts begin to report correctly or could I contact the OC's and advise of discharge, provide discharge documentation, and request correction? I would prefer to get the ball rolling rather than wait but I'm open to recommendations from the folks who have traveled this road and have suggestions based your experiences/results. I would obtain all 3 hard copies of your CR directly from the CRAs, when you get them you would dispute any that are not reporting correctly

Wells Fargo holds one account and throughout my 13, on my Eqifax and Experian, there continued to be a balance/past due reported and when I contacted them directly, I was told it was reporting correctly (that was a VERY disheartening experience). Similar situation with American Honda Finance (although I didn't attempt to contact them after my wells fargo experience). Secured loans maybe different, though if you did not reaffirm them then they must report a 0 balance and IIB, if they refuse contact your BK trustee or file a complaint with the CFPB  http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Anyways, Any input is greatly appreciated and even if I get no feedback or suggestions.... It is an absolutely AMAZING feeling to be able to share that my chapter 13 is DISCHARGED!!!!!! Thanks again from the bottom of my heart to all of you guys that have shared your knowledge and experiences to help someone like myself get on the road to rebuilding!!!!!

As soon as all your TLs are reporting correctly that is the time to start your rebuild, you want at minimum 3 bankcards and 1 store card. The store card can come later after you show history on the bankcards.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

"As soon as all your TLs are reporting correctly that is the time to start your rebuild, you want at minimum 3 bankcards and 1 store card. The store card can come later after you show history on the bankcards."

No real sense in waiting. I'd open a secured CC account ASAP. The earlier the new accounts are opened the better AAoA looks in the future.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your replies. I had obtained a secured card (Open Sky) back in September since my 13 was still active and didn't want a HP (my attorney did give me permission before I obtained it). I saw a decent point increase after the card started reporting and I just recently obtained a fingerhut card (didn't/haven't see a change with it, score wise as of yet).
I will order the credit reports asap and once I dispute the errors and get resolution, I'll start working on acquiring the bank cards. Just typing it makes me a little nervous but I'm hopeful I won't have any problems when I get to that point. Thank you again for the advice, it is extremely appreciated!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.