Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My name is Stephanie and I have an App problem

tag
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

My name is Stephanie and I have an App problem

Now that I can actually get credit, I can't help it but to apply.  I don't know what to do to stop applying!!

Since June, I have gotten the following:

Cap1 Secured - $250

Cap1 Quick Silver - $500

Barclay's - $500

Buckle - $250

Ann Taylor - $250

HSN - $250

Express - $250

Victoria's Secret - $250

Woman Within - $250

Target - $200

Kohl's - $600

I don't even shop at half of those stores!! Would it hurt me more to close them or to keep them?  Tell me to stop apping!!!!!!!!

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Bleu
Contributor

Re: My name is Stephanie and I have an App problem

I really cant tell if you're serious or trying to be cute. Nothing is cute about a bunch of cards and no score. Let them mature. And stop appin'

Message 2 of 20
fireguy01

I think she is serious. 

Here is the deal. Credit applications provide instant gratification if you get approved. 

Believe it or not, for someone with an 'addictive personality'....the can become a problem. 

The point is...you see it. Recognizing it is the first step to solving the problem. 

Now you have to keep your wits about you. Let them grow and mature. Prune when you think the time is right, and start closing the ones you dont use. Do it wisely though so it doesn't effect your credit as much. 

Set a goal for yourself. Don't apply for credit for at least a year. Until then, focus on improving your score by being on time with payments, watching utilization, and working on other aspects of your credit. 

11/2013
TU FICO:610 Ex FICO:630 EQ: FICO 612
CK FAKO: 591 CS FAKO: 629
CapOne Plat 300 Target store 300 Kohls 300 Walmart 600 Amazon Visa 500 Victoria Secret 250 Barclays NFL 500 Kays 1000 J.B Robinson 1000 Speedway Rewards store 400
Message 3 of 20
Bleu
Contributor

Wouldnt close any. Might as well keep them all and let them grow.

Message 4 of 20
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Those are all toy limits. Do you really want a bunch of cards that will close when not used? So you buy a few things just to keep open. Why waste the money? Concentrate on gardening and keeping one card at 9%. Let it age. It is best to get a rewards card and use it wisely. Good luck!
Message 5 of 20
titanofold
Established Contributor

Where's the down-vote button....

Edit: ah well I have one --Carebear

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 6 of 20
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Stop Applying! Keep them open and rotate using them. Keep $0 balances except Cap1 Quicksilver let it report at <9%.

Closing one or two that were just opened last week won't make a difference in your score, but why? 

You need to get to the garden immediately!! In a few more months, you might start seeing some Credit Line Increases coming your way....

Good luck Girl!!!! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@sharriel wrote:

Now that I can actually get credit, I can't help it but to apply.  I don't know what to do to stop applying!!

Since June, I have gotten the following:

Cap1 Secured - $250

Cap1 Quick Silver - $500 

A good builder card 

Barclay's - $500 

A good lender but when they review your account and they will your app itch problem may cause this lender to close your account this in itself should be enough to make you stop applying. I really don't think you want other possible lender to see closed by lender on your CR's 6 months after opening 

Buckle - $250

Ann Taylor - $250

HSN - $250

Express - $250

Victoria's Secret - $250

Woman Within - $250

Target - $200

Kohl's - $600

I don't even shop at half of those stores!! Would it hurt me more to close them or to keep them?  Tell me to stop apping!!!!!!!!

So lets look at it per your own statement 

You have 8 store cards half of which you don't use so will say your using 4 in general (new)

You have 1 secured card (new)

You have 1 cap1 CC which is probably enrolled in the credit steps program (new)

You have 1 Barclay which is a very good company to be with but your current behavior may cause this account to close (new) 

Shock treatment 

if Barclay shuts you down your left with 1 CC 1 secured card with the same lender I might add and 8 store cards 4 of which serve no purpose 

Suggestion close the store cards you don't use so you look better to Barclay who reviews accounts regularly. Do not apply for any more credit for the next 9-12 months

Time to garden build AAoA, Scores, age INQ's and build positive history with 2 lenders that may be the key to open doors to all lenders 

Just my 2 cents tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, what's your pain point? Would it hurt you if you had a lower score? More statements? More accounts to juggle if you use these cards? Knowing that you'll have a lower score for a future car or mortgage app? I love the thrill of the hunt. But my pain point is seeing a lower FICO. I know if I pull my FICO scores before and after the app, and see it drop, then that hurts me. And if it hurts me, then I'm less likely to do it again. 

Message 9 of 20
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

I know I shouldn't have opened all of these but I did and have learned my lesson.  I would like to get a mortgage next summer but now I'm scared to death and I have totally ruined my chances by getting a few stupid $250 credit limits.  If I close 2 of these with 0 balances, will it do anything? 

Right now my AAoA is:

Length of Credit History 22 Years, 8 Months

Average Account Age 5 Years, 5 Months

Will closing 2 of these make them come off my report and possibly raising my AAoA?

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.