Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebuild is in the "waiting stages" so helping a friend

tag
gorgon
Established Contributor

My rebuild is in the "waiting stages" so helping a friend

My rebuild is complete as far as what I am able to do with my current profile so I decided to help a friend. Rebuilding after a BK7 can be rough if you're uninformed, and with all the predatory lenders knocking down your door after they see you filed, it can be tough to know what to do.

The first order of business was to have her ignore Credit One. She had already gotten three snail mail offers from them with the astronomical fees. I want her rebuild to be free in the sense that no annual fees, account maintenance fees, or deposits were required. She created a Credit Karma account and got the "pre-approved" for Ollo Platinum right away. She was approved for $300 SL.

Went searching for another no fee card and did the usual pre-qualify suggestions for rebuilding.

Discover - not burned, but no offers

Cap1 - burned, no offers

Indigo - no offers

Merrick - no offers

She happened to get a pre-qualified mailer for the Mission Lane Visa the next day. It had no AF or other fees, so she applied. Approved for $300 SL. I advised that she should use these for now and wait 6 months or so and try Cap1 and Discover again.

It feels good to help someone rebuild that would have no doubt went for the first predatory card that came her way. Thanks to this forum I was able to giuide her in a direction that should help her rebuild successfully.

2 REPLIES 2
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: My rebuild is in the "waiting stages" so helping a friend

Yep.  There are lots of knowledgeable people here, and lots of great stories of redemption.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 3
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Re: My rebuild is in the "waiting stages" so helping a friend

Great start for her, she's lucky to have you!  It's also wonderful that she trusts you with the experience!

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.