cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebuild plan. Anything else?

tag
rebuildabear

My rebuild plan. Anything else?

Hello all, I've been reading religiously for about a month, thanks to all the great help and advice here. Short story, I was irresponsible when I was younger with credit and student loans, had lots of baddies and a few collections but in the past year + I have stopped burying my head in the sand and committed to taking control of my finances and credit situation. I pulled scores a little over a year ago (16 months) and was between 540-570 ish. Embarrassing but seeing what people have done here I know I can do it too. 

So got a couple secured cards then but didn't do much else. Finally checked two weeks ago, myfico was 609. Since then, here's what I've done and plan to do:

Negatives- most are paid or transferred student loans that had some lates interspersed. Going to send GW letters and hope for some changes. 3 collections on my reports from old utility bills are paid, have written letters/emails asking for deletion. 1 student loan (private) is reporting as charged off and sent to a collection agency, however that agency is not reporting anything on my credit reports, but the OC is. Still figuring out exactly how to deal with this one but I have the budget for a repayment plan. 

Positives-

Cap 1 Secured $800

Cap1 Quicksilver (converted from Orchard Bank Card) $500

both 2yrs old

AU on Alaska Airlines Visa (BofA) $11500 (1yr old)

New cards (all around 9/1/13)

Wells Fargo Secured $1000

Walmart $500 

J Crew $250

Current myfico score 9/6/13

I plan to use these cards each month, pay them off and let 1 report a low balance to maximize my score. With a few new cards I plan to garden for min 6 mos while I work on cleaning up the negatives on my credit reports. I am confident my plan will work. My 6 month goal is above 650 and 1yr goal to get my score to 700 and plan for home ownership. I'm confident I can do it because of all the geat stuff I have found and read here.

So, anything else I should / should not be doing? Am I on the right path? Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My rebuild plan. Anything else?

You're on the right track. You don't need to use your CCs monthly. It'll be just as effective if you use it every 3-4 months. Just PIF each time.

Message 2 of 3
rebuildabear

Re: My rebuild plan. Anything else?

Great, thanks much. I'll try and keep this post updated as I go along. Feeling good just taking control, getting approved for my little rebuilding cards and planning ahead. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.