Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My story!

I'm an idiot...really!  Forever, I've believed that Student Loans didn't affect your credit score.  I have over 26, 120 day lates on my CR.  Last year I examined my report and found the 26 plus 120 day lates, several 30 day lates, a collections on 2 medical payments and high revolving credit lines.  My Fico was around 560.  Since, I've grown a little smarter due to SO. 

Over the last year or so I've refi my SL and haven't been late once in over a year.  I've auto payment on all Credit Cards, I paid down debt and opened 2 new lines of credit with 12000 available.  I did this to lower my credit to available credit ratio.  I'm around 20% and going down each month.  However,  I'm unsure what to do with my medical collections!  Yeah,  I could pay them back, but I've heard this can affect your score badly.  Today I received a call about settlement regarding both medical collections at payment of 50cent on the dollar, sounds good!  Yet, since I'm unsure of how to deal best with collections I didn't take it!  I looked at my credit score and it is 650 now.  I've not been late on anything, paid in full a few times, and been granted credit twice!  I want to take care of the medical bills but don't know how to do it best...someone help me grow smatter?

Thx

D
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My story!

Congrats on the score and kudos on grabbing a smart SO!! Smiley Happy

As to your question on what to do with the medical collections, can you provide some more info?

How OLD is the debt?

What state are you in/incurred the debt in (if you've moved)?

Have you made ANY payments on these debts or admitted ownership of them?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd contact the OC and ask if you PIF if they'll remove from CA.

If they won't help you, then I'd google "whychat hipaa" and have a read.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for the reply's...

The medical debt is from 2003.  Both accounts I called into question due to how they were generated.  Meaning, they both were done in a slimy way.  I was at the hospital and asked for medication to pass an object caught in my throat.  I was in a position where a drug called glucogon would serve as my healer.  The doctor went against my wishes and tried to force me into the ER and scope my throat.  I refussed but was charged for the ER room anyways and scoping prep.  I was in another city at the time and the bill was lost for 2 or 3 years then it finally caught up to me.  I was caught off guard by it all because before I left the ER I paid $372.00 for my visist and medication. 

When the bills came I researched it all  but to much time had gone by since my visit.  I owe them based on me signing documents at the onset of my ER visit.  I didn't ever admitt I owed the bills.  However, I did say I would consider the most recent deal they are offering.  I don't mind paying any amount to clear it up.  The total bill at 100% owed is just under $1200.00 the settlement offered is $567.00  I just want to handle it in the best way so it doesn't affect my credit more than it has already.  I've been told that to settle the bill would have a negative affect on my credit but no one has explained it in a way that makes sense!  I need a detailed explanation!

The state is Colorado/ live in Colorado.

No I haven't paid on the overdue bill.

July 2003.

Thanks

D

Message Edited by skibum on 07-20-2008 12:29 AM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should include:

1st new card is a US Bank visa at 0% for 12 months on new purchases and balance transfers.  Then Fixed at 9.99% after the intro offer!

2nd card is a HSBC with the same 0% on NP and BT but is fixed after intro at 10.99% and intro is for 9 months.  Again I'm only using the cards for small purchases and paying off balances in full each month.  They serve as a credit to debt available ratio bringing my total debt % lower!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.