Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My uncle's Account has been sent to collection

tag
wilson382
New Contributor

My uncle's Account has been sent to collection

Hello Guys,

Long story short, my uncle separated from his wife and she opened a case for child support on the court for my uncle.

my uncle failed to make payments, failed to go to court and all of that. The Court sent the account to collection. Then couple months later my uncle and his wife negotiated an agreement where she had to go to the court and close the case of Child Support. now the Case is closed in the court but the account was already sent to Collection and that is showing up on his Credit report from Experian And TransUnion.

What should my uncle do, to fix his credit?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: My uncle's Account has been sent to collection

@wilson382 wrote:

Hello Guys,

Long story short, my uncle separated from his wife and she opened a case for child support on the court for my uncle.

my uncle failed to make payments, failed to go to court and all of that. The Court sent the account to collection. Then couple months later my uncle and his wife negotiated an agreement where she had to go to the court and close the case of Child Support. now the Case is closed in the court but the account was already sent to Collection and that is showing up on his Credit report from Experian And TransUnion.

What should my uncle do, to fix his credit?

dispute the collection account as not valid anymore.

Message 2 of 8
wilson382
New Contributor

What would be the best approach to do what you said?

Disputing the account from each Credit bureau? Or Sending a Debt valitation Letter to the collection Agency?

Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@wilson382 wrote:

Disputing the account from each Credit bureau? Or Sending a Debt valitation Letter to the collection Agency?

Personally I would go the DV route first, a dispute may just come back as verified and when it does its going to update to the current date and drop his score if it hasnt been updating monthly already...

Message 4 of 8
wilson382
New Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@wilson382 wrote:

Personally I would go the DV route first, a dispute may just come back as verified and when it does its going to update to the current date and drop his score if it hasnt been updating monthly already...

Ok Understood, one more thing, I'm not sure where to send the DV letter to. I mean my uncle never went to court, however i checked his credit report  and the information from the creditor is as follow:

Name: PHILADELPHIA CO DRS

Mailing Address: 34 S **TH ST RM 3** PHILADELPHIA, PA ****7

Account type: Child Support

Account Status: Closed

Payment Status: Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection

Should I send the DV letter to the address listed for that account on the credit report?

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@wilson382 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@wilson382 wrote:

Ok Understood, one more thing, I'm not sure where to send the DV letter to. I mean my uncle never went to court, however i checked his credit report  and the information from the creditor is as follow:

Name: PHILADELPHIA CO DRS

Mailing Address: 34 S **TH ST RM 3** PHILADELPHIA, PA ****7

Account type: Child Support

Account Status: Closed

Payment Status: Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection

Should I send the DV letter to the address listed for that account on the credit report?

Yes send it to the address on his CR.

Message 6 of 8
wilson382
New Contributor

Thank you very much guys for your help

Message 7 of 8
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Did that aggreement between your uncle and his wife specifically absolve him of the missed child support? The reason I ask if the court can and does close cases but the defendant is till repsonsible for past financial obligations. If this is the case for your uncle debt verfication and/or disputes may fail. If that agreement didn't specifically waive those previous fees the collection is likely still valid.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.