Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysteries Collection Agency: 236YC01352

tag
Geppy

Mysteries Collection Agency: 236YC01352

Hi everyone,

In my EQ Fico report, under collections there is one item from Sept. 2008.  The collection agency is identified as:  236YC01352

What the heck is this?  I tried Googling it and couldn't find anything at all.  I want to contact the agency to validate the debt as I have no idea what this is.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mysteries Collection Agency: 236YC01352

Your situation is the purpose of FDCPA 809(a), which requires a debt collector to send you dunning notice within 5 days of initial communication and active collection on the debt.  Posting to your CR triggered their requirement to provide you their name, the name of the creditor, the amount of the asserted debt, and advisement of your right to request debt verification.

Being that old, do you have recollection of receipt of dunning notice?  I presume it was sent, which was your official notice of who they are.

I would contact the CRA and ask of the identity of the reporting party.  The CRA will most likely require proof of your identity before providing that information.

If they wont do it informally, you can file a formal request under FCRA 609(a) and compel them to provide you that information.

If they did provide prior dunning notice, it would have set a 30-day period in which to send a timely request for debt verification.  If that is the case, they can continue collection on the debt without regard to a DV request. 

Your ability to use the DV process to impose a cease collection bar as an incentive for them to provide debt verification appears to hinge upon whether they sent dunning notice.

Message 2 of 25
Geppy

Robert,

Thanks for this... a little above my head with the jargon and process (I'm still new to all this), but I get it.

My gut tells me they did send me notice when this popped up on my credit report back in the day.  I've never been one to watch my CR and I'm now getting in the habit.  Years ago, when this happened, I admit I was pretty nonchallant to things like this.  If I received something that seemed in error, I'd just ignore it.  Bad idea, I know... but it is what it is.

I was going through the dispute process on EQ and found their identity (see screenshot below).  I have two questions now:

• Why doesn't this information show up on my myFico EQ "credit report"?  (see comparing screenshots)
    • What are my options to deal with this collection now?

Thanks again for the help!

Message 3 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, myFICO will sometimes mask CA's names and related OC info to that CA. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think they'll do it due to medical privacy, though I had non-medical CAs have their info blocked out too.

Send a DV to the CA. If they verify and you agree, then mail a PFD. If they agree in writing to the terms of the PFD, then pay it and they'll delete.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 4 of 25
Geppy

Thanks llecs, I appreciate the response.  

Can I still send a DV to the original creditor?  Looking at Robert's answer, it seems that I missed the 30 day window that I had when they most likely sent me notification of the debt and I didn't respond.  

From Robert's response, it seemed like I'm SOL for sending a DV now.

Message 5 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No, only DVs can go to the CA which would be Marathon Services in this example. However, if you disagree with any aspect of the debt, you can always contact the OC and ask for the last few statements, accounting of how they came to $x, and so on. Most will respond.

Yes, your 30-day window expired. And no, a DV is basically legally ineffective beyond the 30 days, but most CAs will respond anyway.

Message 6 of 25
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1. It appears to be 4 years and 7 months from the DOFD.  What is the SOL of your state?  Are you still within the time period where they can sue you?  If try for a PFD make sure you can adhere to the agreement.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 25
Geppy

@Shogun wrote:

+1. It appears to be 4 years and 7 months from the DOFD.  What is the SOL of your state?  Are you still within the time period where they can sue you?  If try for a PFD make sure you can adhere to the agreement.

Hey Shogun,

According to this: edited

It appears my SOL is 4 years maximum.  I don't know whether the debt falls under oral, written, etc. (although I'd assume written), but whichever category, the max in California is 4 years.

What does this mean for me exactly?  I know they can't sue me for it now, but does this provide me any more options to settle this thing or remove it from my credit report? 

Sorry, I'm still a newbie at this.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 25
Geppy

Ok, I just dug this up:  edited

It seems I would have some pretty good room to negotiate this debt given that it's past the SOL, etc.  Does anyone have experience with PFDs?

If I could get a PFD on this for $400-$500 would it move the barometer on my FICO enough to justify the cost?

Message 9 of 25
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You bet it does.  Offer a PFD but maybe half or even less.   Try to negotiate a deal.  They're already posting to your CR.  That's the worst they can do now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.