Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious Call..... Lawsuit and Garnished Wages

tag
DonnyP05
New Contributor

Mysterious Call..... Lawsuit and Garnished Wages

With the help of this site, I have since rebuilt my credit and turned everything around. I've been on the upswing of things for about 10 years now. No more negative accounts on my report, no late payments, no charge-off's, etc.

I did have some charge off's back in 2006 and 2007, none since. The charge-off I can think of was for just over $3k, not $10k

I received a call today out of the blue, at first I ignored at as I didn't know the number, they called back to back to back, so I thought maybe it was an emergency. I answered and a gentleman asked if I was ****** and if I lived at *********** and if I would be home between 3-5pm today to sign a wage garnishment. I told him to hold on and asked what it was in regards too, he stated it was for a Chase/Circuit City account. I asked who he was and whom he worked for, he told me he was Brian from the law frim of Waterfront Solutions. That I needed to sign a wage garnishment form. That I owed $10k or something. I told him I know nothing of what you speak of, I have no idea what it's for. He said didn't you get the letter's with an attempt to settle at $5k something. I said I never received anything at my house in regards to any of this. I asked if he even has the right person. He said your SS# is......... and something else. So he already has my personal information, I'm assuming from my credit report or something?? They can't just garnish my wages from showing up at my house and "signing" something, they would need a court judgement.

After that I hung up on his person and they tried calling me back immediately afterwards another 2 times. He finally left me a voicemail. Stated he was Brian, from the firm of Waterfront Solutions. They are contacting me in regards to a civil compaint against my name and SS# that needs my immediate attention. That the client would be willing to grant me something until the end of the day with a return phone call for a voluntary statement of intent. Then says I can call back at 920-234-0833 and when I do to give them a case #, which he listed. Then he finishes up with that being stated, have a great day you've been notified.

When I tried to google the phone number and the business name he gave me, nothing even shows up. Comes up empty on the phone number and the only waterfront solutions I can find is boat and dock places, or a Waterfront Capital LLC company.

The SOL in my state is 6 years. This account would be way past that. I never received any emails, phone calls or letters in regards to this account at all until this call today.

How do I know this is a legit firm? Wouldn't I need to be served/summoned to go to court first? They need a court judgement to garnish my wages? How does this guy know all of my personal information?

I feel if it's legit, they are definitely in violation of the FDCPA by threatening a lawsuit, calling me nonstop 6 times in a row, telling me they will garnish my wages and asking for a debt which is much more then originally listed.

Do I call back and say they are in violation of the FDCPA and the SOL has ran out. Do I first ask him to tell me the date of the account to verify? Do I just ignore this and assume its a scare tactic?

Sorry for the really, really long post. I'm just unsure of what to do.

Starting Score: 766 EQ, 766 TU, 771 EX
Current Score: 766 EQ, 766 TU, 771 EX
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Mysterious Call..... Lawsuit and Garnished Wages

Block. Theres nothing out there with that name. Waterfront Capital is a CA. Scammer trying to get $ from you. I like the ones who say I cant tell you anything until you give me the 4 of your SS. Bye.

Ignore it. Dark web stuff. Freeze all your CRA's.

Message 2 of 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I agree with @FireMedic1  this is a junk debt buyer they can't do 💩 to you . Block their number they will probably continue and try to call you from different numbers don't answer continue to block them get a spam blocker for your phone .

so many lies in that phone call they don't come to your house to serve a wage garnishment lol I love the hours they gave you 🙄

i had one a few years ago recite my "payroll" departments address and stated they would serve me at my work and if I didn't want to be embarrassed I should settle with them . I told them oh please come there I will be waiting it's 5 hours from my home 😂😂

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 12
DonnyP05
New Contributor

The only part that concerns me is this guy had my full SS# already before he even called. Where would he or this company have gotten this??

Message 4 of 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

These debt collectors buy these zombie debts and then try to collect . They can get your information from the previous debt collection agency .

They can try to get you to pay with scare tactics, that's what they do 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 12
DonnyP05
New Contributor

That's crazy!! Especially since this was 15 years ago! Do they ever stop? Anything I can do??

Message 6 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Not really. Keep reports frozen. It happens. I get a dark web alert oh every 6 months with all my info. Search your name on Google. You'd be surprised whats on their. Name, address, phone, employers, ect.

Message 7 of 12
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

About 10-12 years ago I was getting letters in the mail and phone calls from a company trying to collect on a defaulted loan in 1987. In the early 90's I paid that debt in full. I just ignored them and their BS threats.  Then after they stopped all attempts it began again only this time the letters came in my Mothers name having been deceased since 1988. She co-signed for the loan. Then the phone calls began again asking for her and threatening law suits. Ignored and poof, they were gone. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 8 of 12
7774x
Frequent Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I agree with @FireMedic1  this is a junk debt buyer they can't do 💩 to you . Block their number they will probably continue and try to call you from different numbers don't answer continue to block them get a spam blocker for your phone .

so many lies in that phone call they don't come to your house to serve a wage garnishment lol I love the hours they gave you 🙄

i had one a few years ago recite my "payroll" departments address and stated they would serve me at my work and if I didn't want to be embarrassed I should settle with them . I told them oh please come there I will be waiting it's 5 hours from my home 😂😂

Junk buyer asking you to re affirm  old SOL debt .  trying buffalo you  to  promise  you will pay..don't even to talk to such scammers..likely paid 10-$20 for your info = home  run return of amount paid ..  If they Call again say your attorney will handle this matter

Message 9 of 12
bass_playr
Established Contributor

@DonnyP05 wrote:

With the help of this site, I have since rebuilt my credit and turned everything around. I've been on the upswing of things for about 10 years now. No more negative accounts on my report, no late payments, no charge-off's, etc.

I did have some charge off's back in 2006 and 2007, none since. The charge-off I can think of was for just over $3k, not $10k

I received a call today out of the blue, at first I ignored at as I didn't know the number, they called back to back to back, so I thought maybe it was an emergency. I answered and a gentleman asked if I was ****** and if I lived at *********** and if I would be home between 3-5pm today to sign a wage garnishment.

OK, here's one thing.  NO ONE needs you to sign a wage garnishment.  A wage garnishment can only happen if they sued you and won a judgment, and then they can get a garnishment on your wages in most states.  But they NEVER need you to sign it, they get the win in court and then they garnish your wages--often without you knowing about it until you notice that some of your paycheck is missing.  They could be trying to get you to sign a wage assignment, which is voluntary, but it's not typical to see them send someone to your home like that.  

I told him to hold on and asked what it was in regards too, he stated it was for a Chase/Circuit City account.

Did you verify your identity with him before he told you what the debt is?  By federal law they must properly verify that they are talking to the correct person before they mention anything about collecting a debt, so if you never said to him "yes, that's me", then this is another violation of FDCPA.

I asked who he was and whom he worked for, he told me he was Brian from the law frim of Waterfront Solutions.

Another violation--no debt collector can pretend to be a law firm.

That I needed to sign a wage garnishment form. That I owed $10k or something. I told him I know nothing of what you speak of, I have no idea what it's for. He said didn't you get the letter's with an attempt to settle at $5k something. I said I never received anything at my house in regards to any of this. I asked if he even has the right person. He said your SS# is......... and something else. So he already has my personal information, I'm assuming from my credit report or something?? They can't just garnish my wages from showing up at my house and "signing" something, they would need a court judgement.

It would be worth checking just to make sure you have no judgment against you--you can check with your court clerk's office to see if there ever was a suit filed.

After that I hung up on his person and they tried calling me back immediately afterwards another 2 times. He finally left me a voicemail. Stated he was Brian, from the firm of Waterfront Solutions. They are contacting me in regards to a civil compaint against my name and SS# that needs my immediate attention. That the client would be willing to grant me something until the end of the day with a return phone call for a voluntary statement of intent. Then says I can call back at 920-234-0833 and when I do to give them a case #, which he listed. Then he finishes up with that being stated, have a great day you've been notified.

Calling you so many times in such a short time is quite often considered harassing.  Law firms do not behave like that.  A law firm would simply sue you, get a judgment and garnish wages without your consent.  

When I tried to google the phone number and the business name he gave me, nothing even shows up. Comes up empty on the phone number and the only waterfront solutions I can find is boat and dock places, or a Waterfront Capital LLC company.

The SOL in my state is 6 years. This account would be way past that. I never received any emails, phone calls or letters in regards to this account at all until this call today.

How do I know this is a legit firm? Wouldn't I need to be served/summoned to go to court first? They need a court judgement to garnish my wages? How does this guy know all of my personal information?

Well, if they were an actual law firm you could check with your state bar to find them.  I'm not a betting kinda guy but I'd put money on them not being a law firm.  

I feel if it's legit, they are definitely in violation of the FDCPA by threatening a lawsuit, calling me nonstop 6 times in a row, telling me they will garnish my wages and asking for a debt which is much more then originally listed.

Well, at this point with limited info, I'd agree on most of those.  It may or may not be a violation that they are asking so much, because most debts have provisions that allow them to tack on interest, and you did say this would be a very old account, so that's a lot of years of interest adding up.  So we dont know enough just yet to say that they are trying to collect an incorrect amount.  But yes, all the rest are violations.  They cannot threaten a suit on a debt that's so far beyond SOL it aint funny.

Do I call back and say they are in violation of the FDCPA and the SOL has ran out. Do I first ask him to tell me the date of the account to verify? Do I just ignore this and assume its a scare tactic?

If you did call back you would be wasting your time and your breath.  Crooked debt collectors that use these kinds of bullying tactics to scare people into paying wont be affected by you knowing your rights.  They will, at some point, usually move on from you because they are not getting any money from you.  But just to be safe, I'd check your court clerk's office to make sure there's no suit filed.  If they didnt file one already and you know this is a very old account, then even if they did file, you would just presumably use SOL to get their case dismissed. 

Sorry for the really, really long post. I'm just unsure of what to do.

No worries, that's what this place is here for.  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.