Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP with child support

tag
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

NEED HELP with child support

Emotions are high right now.  My son didnt want to move with me and it took the court 8 months to settle on support, yes I am female and paying support (sick of people being surprised)  Anyway they refuse to update my COLLECTION account that I am paying monthly on along with the current payments to an updated status.  RIGHT NOW if a bank looks at my credit reports they will see this as I am not doing anything with this and it has been getting paid down monthly.  What rigts do I have to force them to report accurate information?

I called the attorney genera twice trying to get numbersl, FTC several times, some other consumer help line, The beauro  of consumer protection.  They refuse to update my credit reports to reflect that I am making payments on their account!!! I even sent a complaint to the consumer protection beauro of finance and sent them the PDF from the fair credit reporting act section 623 where it states collection agencies must report acurate information!  What are my options?

Anyone?  I only have 3 collections on my report.  This is being reported as "other" and they will not update it.

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NEED HELP with child support

Sorry to hear about your situation.  Child support postings is actually a weakness of mine, I've tried to study some about it, but it is still a bit of a mystery.  So how exactly are they posting it to your CR?  Are they posting monthly lates?  Is it a CA that is posting them?  Try and give me a bit more info and I will do my best to try and figure something out with you.   Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

OHIO DEPT OF HUMAN SERVICE
Account Number:     XXXX     Current Status:     
Account Owner:     Individual Account.       High Credit:     N/A
Type of Account Revolving loans have an amount owed which varies from month to month, like a credit card. Installment loans have a fixed number of payments and the same payment due each month, such as a mortgage, car loan or student loan. Option loans require that the entire balance be paid each month. :     Open     Credit Limit:     N/A
Terms Duration:           Terms Frequency:     Monthly (due every month)  
Date Opened:     06/16/2011       Balance:     $3,053
Date Reported:     11/07/2012       Amount Past Due:     $3,053
Date of Last Payment:           Actual Payment Amount:     $487
Scheduled Payment Amount:     $406     Date of Last Activity:     N/A
Date Major Delinquency First Reported:     08/2011       Months Reviewed:     13
Creditor Classification:           Activity Description:     N/A
Charge Off Amount:     $0     Deferred Payment Start Date:     
Balloon Payment Amount:     $0     Balloon Payment Date:     
Date Closed:           Type of Loan:     yes  
Date of First Delinquency:     07/2011  
Comments:     Collection account,
Customer has now located consumer  
81-Month Payment History
Year     Jan     Feb     Mar     Apr     May     Jun     Jul     Aug     Sep     Oct     Nov     Dec
2012     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA           
2011                                   *     *     CA     CA     CA     CA     CA

Payment History Key

The comments bug me too!  This was something that was being worked on before I moved so they make it sound horrible.  I work for a state agency and can NEVER be late or ignore the fact this bill is owed or I would lose my job.

Maybe because they are not reporting it late it isnt hurting me, I do know when I dispute it my equifax score drops 40 points.

Also they report quarterly so the amount owed should be around 2700.00. 

Starting Score:

Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I believe I would keep making the payments to get it up to date and then see what it reports. I don't see how the state of Ohio could be listed as a CA.  That just seems a little strange.  It would be a negative because it is still in arrears until you get the past due caught up.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 10
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

That is the past due amount.  Heres what they did to me.  The original court date was rescheduled 8 months later.  During that whole time it got rescheduled it was accruing payments.  I just thought they would actually start the child support from the time it was settled but they didnt do that.  The got me with 5K arears and obviously with my moms health condition I couldnt pay that all, so they were okay with making payments but they slapped a collection up there and refuse to note the payments.  This has been paid on and NEVER late.  Smiley Sad  The goverment told me to get a lawyer.  This is so unfair, I have never missed any payments current or on this agreement.

They said they would make a satisfied account once I pay it, but this is so unfair.

Anyway I called two attorneys here and they both said they dont know what to do about it and when I found a solution to let them know!

Child enforcement is doing something illegal and according to section 623 of the fair reporting act they are supposed to report acurate information.  This is not accurate information.  Smiley Sad

Starting Score:

Message 5 of 10
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

I will be doing this my CR has me laying 90+ days late in 2006-2008 when I was paying arrears cause of the back payments during the court hearings. As soon as my actual obligation went into effect I began payments and have never missed one since.

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 6 of 10
10kbkb
Valued Member

anyone get this figured out yet???

Message 7 of 10
10kbkb
Valued Member

So I called the DCSE office, and they said they will send me my payment history, they consider arrears late payments (which is unfair) I started to pay the arrears the same month the determination was made and paid them until they were paid off. I am now going to head to the office of the District Manager with my payment history and court documents and try to have them change my arrears to on-time. If she wont do it, I will just ask for information asking the Regional Manager or State Manager and just keep climbing this ladder.

*posting under wifes name

Message 8 of 10
Shokk
Established Contributor

Child support can be confusing.  I noticed mine was showing as late once and called the local AG office.  I was told it would stay as late till the arrears were caught up.  This didn't happen.  My payments got behind when I changed jobs.  Once the new payments were being made on time, it started showing pays as agreed, but payment history shows the lates as it should.

I realize this helps none at all, but wanted to post my situation. I'm in Texas, but was told the same thing you were.  Until the arrears are caught up, it will be listed as late.  I guess I got lucky.  Its not fair at all.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 9 of 10
Mish0817
Regular Contributor

Make sure you check the interest laws in your state. Every state ads interest usually at 10% of amount owed. So it could be climbing each month! You may want to settle with the state for the amount owed usually child support offices will settle and put on a credit card. You may find it to be cheaper in the long run

Eq 675
TU 681
Ex your guess is as goodas mine!

Nfcu Cash Rewards 15000, Nfcu nRewards Mc 15000, Walmart 600, Target 400, VS 650,Capital one 3750, Us Bank 300, Discover 4500,Citi DP 1500, Chase Freedom 2000. And I'm done...... no more cards just going to tend my garden
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.