I hope everyone had a good start to the week! On August 6th I sent out 6 debt validation letters to 5 different collection agencies. It was the first time in years I finally decided to not ignore my shoddy situation and DO something about it. Thank you all for your help.
Today, I have an update and need help. First, the good news:
1. One of my DV letters was sent to National Recovery Agency. It was a collection for $217 that was due to fall off in 2022. I did not dispute the account, but just asked for verification. Today, I saw they deleted the whole collection entry (I checked Credit Karm and Experian Free). YAY!! I did not officially hear back from them but I am looking out for a letter. This account was in my ex-husband's name I believe so I don't know why they even came after me.
2. Portfolio Recovery replied to me and this is where I need help.
*** Please note any personal information has been falsified incl. SSN, account number, name etc ***
This is the TL:
1. Sent DV letter on 8/6
2. Received letter from PRA on 8/12 (turned out to be an offer to reduce my debt with them and listed payment plans)
3. The same day I sent them a settlement offer stating they failed to verify the debt, including copies of my original letter with certified mail delivery proof, a copy of their offer and offered them 1/4 of what they ask bc I do not agree I owe this debt,r and told them if they do not take my offer I will dispute everything
4. Saturday 8/17 I got ANOTHER letter - so the first letter they sent was likely not in relation to my first letter. Oops. This letter was their standard response (will post below). Should I ask them to validate again with more info? I really do not recognize this account AT ALL. See also #5 below. Should I go straight to disputing with the CRAs? Cap1 never harassed me about this. I truly have no idea what this even is AND to top it off, when I check my Experian Free account both my closed accounts are listed as "closed by consumer, paid". The opening dates are 2011 (closed bc I was recommended to do so bc my ex husband stole my card - I was young and stupid) and 2016 (closed because I consolidated this card with another Cap1 card to make a higher limit).
5. The thing is, the info they "validated" is wrong. It is for an old Cap1 account, apparently. They have my name and last 4 of my SSN, but the last payment date as well as the "date account opened provided by seller" is plain wrong. I know for a fact I did not open a CC in 2013. I also do not recognize the account number. What should I do?
Dear Sammy Sweetheart,
The following information is being proivded in response to your recent communication concerning the account referenced above (I did not give them my SSN or my account number, the only thing I stated in my letter was I am reaching out bc they list stuff on my CR and I have no knowledge of this debt, which is true). Account Number 12346789 and its proceeds were sold, assigned and transferred by the seller to PRA, LLC on 1/28/19. At the time of the sale, the seller provided information concerning the account; a summary of which can be found below. Please contact us if you would like to receive a payment history of payments that have posted to this account since our company purchased this account (which would be frickin blank cause I didn't even know about this account, neither have I ever sent PRA a dime, neither have I received any communication from them up until this VERY random letter on 8/12).
Sincerely, Dispute Team
Summary of additional information listed in the electronic file for this account:
Account holder's name provided by Seller: Sammy Sweetheart (old name that I have not had since 2015)
Account holder's last 4 digits of SSN: 1234 (correct)
Date Account opened provided by Seller: 5/24/2013 (WRONG)
Charge Off Balance: $514 (WRONG/Makes no sense/do not recognize at all)
Last Payment Date of Default Date: 10/11/2017 (WRONG/Makes no sense/do not recognize at all)
Options I am considering
1. Wait for the response to my second letter from them - expecting that this week. It wouldn't be ideal because truly I don't know what this is. But if I can get this off my record for $125 which is how much I offered them and not going through anymore headaches I would do that.
2. Instantly dispute with CRAs. But how? I need help figuring that out.
3. Send them another letter, with all previous documentation, stating I 100000% do not recognize this account and the information they have (i.e. the date the account was opened) is plain wrong. Tell them to cease colleciton efforts or I'll sue them (maybe?)
For $125 bucks/ Portfolio deletes all collections from your credit profile if PIF or settled for less. All this running around wont have to be done. Call them. I want to pay it off and I understand you will remove it from my credit reports as its advertised on your website. Pay it. Done. Gone. (In 30-45days) Fiasco ova!
They got my "where do u get off" letter today per certified tracking. I'm gonna wait and see if I get any response this week, and if not give them a call. If they take the $125 and it's done and over, I'm happy to do it. But they wanted the full sum minus $30 in their "generous" offer LOL.. like, no. Absolutely not. I don't know who's $514 debt that is, but it's not mine per 1/2 their information....
Let me ask this. Who is Portfolio trying to collect for? Who is the creditor that they clain you owe. Narrow this down more. Original post was a tad hard to follow.
Oops, my bad! I was trying to be detailed but I guess it ended up confusing.
Okay, here's the low down.
They claim the original creditor is Capital One, that the account was opened 5/24/2013 and that I owe $514.31
1. I didn't open any accounts in 2013, at all. So that part on their end is wrong.
2. I have 2 old, closed Cap1 accounts:
- Account A, opened in 2011, closed in 2013, then PIF (via 2 year payment plan) in 2015 (stupid advice I got back then)
- Account B, opened in 2016, PIF and closed and combined with another card to create a higher limit card.
=> Both report as "Closed by consumer, paid". Both have absolutely no chargeoff remarks or any other remarks... I checked this on Experian as well as Credit Karma
So. Collection agencies only start when a creditor tells them to do so. I'd call Cap1 and ask where did this come from and thats it is reported by Portfolio that I owe you (Cap1) money on an account I do not know about. Go to the source first. They may be able to fix it.
Good call, I will try this tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip! Let's see what they say...
Perfect. It may have been an oversight when you combined cards, one account got closed, ect. Now ask yourself. Was the combo around the same time? This may have caused it.
So the thing is, capital one doesn't let you close & combine one card with another, unless that card is PIF. So when i closed it and requested account combindation, it was 100% paid off. So I don't think that's what happened (and the card that it was combined into is in good standing, I frequently use it for stuff like gas, and I have no lates on it). The account opened in 2011 and closed off, then repaid via an agreement is the one I could consider being questioned but that one is also paid off. I remember paying the last chunk sum off during tax season in 2015. But IDK... I have honestly no clue as to what could've happened. I will happily own up to my debt and charge offs but this really is a weird situation!
Weird. Like you said. Call them and ask about the 2013 time period that isnt making sense. Good Luck! Let us know the outcome!