Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice In Terms of What to Do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice In Terms of What to Do

I need some advice as I am working to rebuild my credit.  I have always paid on time all my other bills and have never gone through collections before in the past.

I have two amounts in collections one amount is below 800 and the other amount is below 3,500.  They are both related to a medical visit to a hospital.  One of them is hitting my credit report and the other one is not yet.  It has been over 180 days for both.  I am sending out the Debt Validation Letters today to both credit agencies.

What is the best way forward?  I want the 800 amount off my credit report and can pay in full but want it off(The amount they reported to the credit agencies is incorrect as I made payments to the bill in the past before it went to collections).  The other amount I don't mind paying them monthly until it is paid but I don't ever want it hitting my credit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Advice In Terms of What to Do

@Anonymous wrote:

I need some advice as I am working to rebuild my credit.  I have always paid on time all my other bills and have never gone through collections before in the past.

I have two amounts in collections one amount is below 800 and the other amount is below 3,500.  They are both related to a medical visit to a hospital.  One of them is hitting my credit report and the other one is not yet.  It has been over 180 days for both.  I am sending out the Debt Validation Letters today to both credit agencies.

What is the best way forward?  I want the 800 amount off my credit report and can pay in full but want it off(The amount they reported to the credit agencies is incorrect as I made payments to the bill in the past before it went to collections).  The other amount I don't mind paying them monthly until it is paid but I don't ever want it hitting my credit.

Any advice is appreciated.

As far as the one not reporting forget the DV you already know its yours, make arrangements to pay it in exchange for it not reporting. As for the other here are the normal steps for medicals

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CA that reported is reporting a completely different number than what I actually owe.  

Is there a good resource to explain HIPAA to me?  Like my understanding is if I pay in full they have to remove it from my credit report because its a medical expense?  Is this correct?

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The CA that reported is reporting a completely different number than what I actually owe.  

Is there a good resource to explain HIPAA to me?  Like my understanding is if I pay in full they have to remove it from my credit report because its a medical expense?  Is this correct?

We cannot discuss the HIPAA process on these boards you would need to contact its creator if you have questions on it. If you are looking for what the HIPAA law is here is a place  https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/guidance-materials-for-consumers/index.html

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.