Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Debt Validation Letter

tag
adamseve
Established Contributor

Need Debt Validation Letter

I started receiving phone calls from Midwest Recovery and I had no clue what they were about because I pay all my bills.  I didn't call them back or respond because I have not been delinquent in paying any of my bills in over a decade!!

At any rate, last week, they posted a collection on my TU & EX credit reports.  THAT GOT MY ATTENTION.  I need to send them a DV letter but can't find a recent one.  If someone can share a template of a recent DV letter I would really, really appreciate.  My scores are finally in the 700s after working my butt off to keep my utilization down, pay off credit cards monthly, etc.  I don't NEED this in my life.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Need Debt Validation Letter

Is the collections you saw on your reports accurate and belongs to you?

Message 2 of 5
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

@adamseve wrote:

I started receiving phone calls from Midwest Recovery and I had no clue what they were about because I pay all my bills.  I didn't call them back or respond because I have not been delinquent in paying any of my bills in over a decade!!

At any rate, last week, they posted a collection on my TU & EX credit reports.  THAT GOT MY ATTENTION.  I need to send them a DV letter but can't find a recent one.  If someone can share a template of a recent DV letter I would really, really appreciate.  My scores are finally in the 700s after working my butt off to keep my utilization down, pay off credit cards monthly, etc.  I don't NEED this in my life.

Thank you!

If you are referring to validation under the FDCPA, finding a collection account on your credit report does not trigger your validation rights because it is not considered an initial communication.   You can request validation, and the collection agency may go ahead and validate.  However, it will not be required to validate and can still report and make collection attempts.  

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If all you are doing is contesting the debt and are requesting validation, then simply state:

"This is a request for debt validation under the provisions of FDCPA 809(a)."

A DV can additionally request the name of the original creditor if you also seek that information.

If so, include the sentence:

"I additionally request the name, and if available, the contact address of the original creditor."

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.