cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Sample Letter Re: Repossession Removal After 7 Yrs.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Sample Letter Re: Repossession Removal After 7 Yrs.

Apologies if the answer to this is already somewhere on this forum but I searched and searched with no luck. So when I was 18 and quite financially irresponsible, I got my car repossessed. I also had a couple of maxed out credit cards. I joined the military a couple of years later, paid off all of my credit cards and whatever debts I could and am happy to say that since then, I haven't had any negatives on my credit. Thankfully, this November it will have been 7 years since it was first reported so I'd like to go ahead and get started at least drafting the letters that will be sent to the credit bureaus to get it removed.

Can anyone provide a sample of what this letter should say or links to some examples please? I'm hoping that my credit score will see a decent increase after the repossession is removed- my husband and I would like to purchase our first home soon and that's the only thing I worry about possibly getting in the way.

Current Credit: Fair | Experian: 633 | Equifax: 652 | TransUnion: 657

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need Sample Letter Re: Repossession Removal After 7 Yrs.

FCRA 605(a) sets forth the relevant credit report exclusion periods of adverse items reported to a CRA.

For each item, the furnisher is required to have reported the relevant date upon which the CRA determines its exclusion period and exclusion date.

The CRA is responsible for monitoring each adverse item, and then ensuring that they exclude that derog from any credit reports they issue after expiration of the exclusion date.  There is no need to send them a letter requesting that they exclude or reminding them of their obligation to exclude.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Sample Letter Re: Repossession Removal After 7 Yrs.

Thank you for the response! I was also hoping that they'd be kind enough to remove it earlier upon receiving my request (a few months earlier than the seven year mark). 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.