Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice! False collections account filed against me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice! False collections account filed against me

Hey guys. First post here!

Long story short - I have a collections account on my credit report. Reported by Credit management LP. Original debt is charter communications.

I called charter communications and confirmed I have never had any type of relationship with them. I have zero accounts with them. They said they can’t contact the collections agency and rectify this because they have no account number to base off of.

I then call credit management LP and speak to the supervisor who informs me they have no record at all of the collections notice on my credit report. They asked me several times if it’s definitely them who reported the collections despite me telling them their phone number and company name is literally on my credit report. They ran all my credentials and can’t find anything. They then tell me their is nothing they can do for me at all and I have to file a dispute with equifax...

Is there any other action I can take? It’s so anal about my credit and this dropped it 24 points! This company credit management LP is unreal!

There is an account number on the collections notice however it only gives me the first 4 numbers and the rest are x’s. I even told credit management if I get a hold of this number can they run this- they stated there is nothing else they can do for me.

Any advice ?

Thank you!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice! False collections account filed against me

If both charter and the collection agency say they have no record of debt against you maybe you can get that in writing from both of them that way you can dispute it using their statements in writing to get it removed by the credit bureau directly. Seems that you could also file a dispute challenging the validity of the debt being yours if both the OC and Collector have no record of debt they should respond so when probed by the bureau and it should be removed. But either way ask them for something in writing so you have evidence to support you.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you file a dispute with a CRA, the CRA is required to send a copy of the dispute to the party who furnished the asserted inaccurate information (FCRA 611(a)(2)), and that party is required to respond back to the CRA either by verifying its accuracy, correcting/deleting the reporting so as as to overcome any inaccuracy (FCRA 623(b)).

If they can do neither, the CRA is then required to either correct or delete the information (FCRA 611(a)(5)).

If, upon receipt of a copy of the dispute from the CRA, the debt collector cannot verify or correct the accuracy of the information forwarded to them that shows them as the furnisher, the CRA must delete.

You should immediately file a formal dispute via the CRA, including the statements by both the creditor and debt collector that there was no debt with either, and thus no basis for reporting of any authority to collect on a non-existent debt.

Lack of any verification by the debt collector will then establish required deletion by the CRA.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.