cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice! Reached 700! Should I CC app spree?

tag
kamie24240

Need advice! Reached 700! Should I CC app spree?

Hey All!

Last month, all of my scores were very poor. Mid 400 and 500s across the board.  Over the past 6 weeks, I have sent out disputes via SkyBlue and have watched several collections drop off my report (I did not have many to begin with as most on my report were US student loans).  Paid off my only CC ($300 secured Capital One) in full last month.  On Monday I discovered that my scores dramatically increased into the 600 territory!

611 EQ     564 TU     601 EX

This made me feel like I could somewhat breathe again!

Today I just learned that my EQ increased 64 points!!!  Other scores also increased this week in part to ongoing changes in my report.  It feels like it's still possible to hit the 720 club this year!

711 EQ    620 TU    598 EX

I've gotten really into acquring cards with high flyer miles value lately but I don't think I'm eligble to apply for my dream cards just as yet since I would probably need to increase my CL and score in the meantime.  Currently dreaming about the AMEX Gold, SPG AMEX, Chase Freedom, Chase SP (I am currently listed as a AU on a AMEX Platnium and Chase SP but I personally own a separate Chase Private Client Checking/Savings Account so I do not know if anything would increase my chances).

I've held out on applying for new credit until I developed healthy credit habits but now I am ready.  I currently only have a very small credit line of 300 open (Capital One Quicksilver).  I only send about $80 in recurring charges to the card a month and have my bank autopay the amount.  I am going to try and switch things up and keep a tiny balance on the card so that I can bring my new 0% utilization rate to 1%. Ideally, I would like to increase my credit line via new cards (hopefully with miles from travel/dining), new loan (of an amount that I can actually pay off in full monthly to build trade lines), so that way I do not have to maintain such a tiny balance in order to maintain a low ultilziation rate.

My long term goal is to have an excellent score across the board to qualify me for the Chase Ink Business card and a mortgage (in the next 2 years).

Not exactly sure what my next steps are as I anticipate my TU and EX scores to also benefit from the new score increase that occured today on EQ.  Excited to hit 700 nonetheless, and only 9 points shy of reaching the next goal!

Would anyone have any tips or tricks to spare?  I've been lurking on the forums for years now but finally ready to dig in and contribute! Smiley Happy

Currently: 732 EQ  l  713  TU  l  684   EX  - 05/01/2020

Starting FICOs: 482 EQ  l  469 TU  l  520  EX - 10/2014
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice! Reached 700! Should I CC app spree?

In your case, if your EQ is the only credit bureau showing that plus 700 score, I'd try and app only CC's that use EQ and hold off on other's that use EX and TU until they reflect similarly. It's amazing what one or two good CC's can do to your thin profile and scores.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, in my experience, EX is the biggie amongst the 3 CRA's. They seem to be used by all the large lender's. I've got card's with AMEX, CITI, CHASE, DISCOVER, CAP ONE, USAA, WELLS FARGO, US BANK, SDFCU, and others. Everyone of them pulled EX and some, like CITI and CHASE, pulled EQ too. Only CAP ONE pulled TU, but they pull all 3 at the same time. You can do a search on the lenders and get a great idea as to who pulls what for which CC's in your state. Than plan accordingly.
Message 3 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

pre-qual 1 card, meet the spend, rinse-repeat 1 or 2 times, chill for a few months and see where you stand.

just 1 option.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't go crazy with the big cards I would go with discover secured to get card number 2. Wait a few months and get another cap1 and then garden for a very long time. That is what I just did and I'm gardening for 2 years now
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me Discover pulled my TU my TU's been getting nailed with all my Inquiries. CapOne tripled pulled.

But OP imho I'd wait until all 3 reflect above 700.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kamie24240 wrote:

Hey All!

Last month, all of my scores were very poor. Mid 400 and 500s across the board.  Over the past 6 weeks, I have sent out disputes via SkyBlue and have watched several collections drop off my report (I did not have many to begin with as most on my report were US student loans).  Paid off my only CC ($300 secured Capital One) in full last month.  On Monday I discovered that my scores dramatically increased into the 600 territory!

611 EQ     564 TU     601 EX

This made me feel like I could somewhat breathe again!

Today I just learned that my EQ increased 64 points!!!  Other scores also increased this week in part to ongoing changes in my report.  It feels like it's still possible to hit the 720 club this year!

711 EQ    620 TU    598 EX

I've gotten really into acquring cards with high flyer miles value lately but I don't think I'm eligble to apply for my dream cards just as yet since I would probably need to increase my CL and score in the meantime.  Currently dreaming about the AMEX Gold, SPG AMEX, Chase Freedom, Chase SP (I am currently listed as a AU on a AMEX Platnium and Chase SP but I personally own a separate Chase Private Client Checking/Savings Account so I do not know if anything would increase my chances).

I've held out on applying for new credit until I developed healthy credit habits but now I am ready.  I currently only have a very small credit line of 300 open (Capital One Quicksilver).  I only send about $80 in recurring charges to the card a month and have my bank autopay the amount.  I am going to try and switch things up and keep a tiny balance on the card so that I can bring my new 0% utilization rate to 1%. Ideally, I would like to increase my credit line via new cards (hopefully with miles from travel/dining), new loan (of an amount that I can actually pay off in full monthly to build trade lines), so that way I do not have to maintain such a tiny balance in order to maintain a low ultilziation rate.

My long term goal is to have an excellent score across the board to qualify me for the Chase Ink Business card and a mortgage (in the next 2 years).

Not exactly sure what my next steps are as I anticipate my TU and EX scores to also benefit from the new score increase that occured today on EQ.  Excited to hit 700 nonetheless, and only 9 points shy of reaching the next goal!

Would anyone have any tips or tricks to spare?  I've been lurking on the forums for years now but finally ready to dig in and contribute! Smiley Happy

Don't know of too many CC companies that pull EQ, other than with a dual or triple pull.  You can go to the Credit Pulls Database and see which companies have pulled certain cards for your state.  Comenity bank pulls EQ and the SG Visa, TR Visa, etc...but there seems to be issues with Comenity and Synchrony banks lately in regards to shutting down accounts.  There are some credit unions out there that pull EQ and you can review the forum regarding them.  I got my Amex Platinum with a 670 EX score, but I was given an invitation code since I already have the ED and BCP cards.  BoA has a secured card that unsecures and Discover's secured card has the potential to unsecure.  If Cap 1 prequal shows up an offer, then I would considered it.  Don't want to waste too many HP and drag your score under 700, so there are many options available for you.  Congrats on reaching your milestone. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you could use Soft Pull credit cards to add ulitization, maybe the shopping card trick?

Message 8 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

No Spree..

Pick up a card? Thats doable...

As many folks have said.. WAIT for your scores to settle/ be at 700 across the board before apping

Also.. your still not quite in prime territory but you can get some decent cards....

Discover Secured sounds like a good deal, as does Cap One if you have a prequalify...

Your smart to worry about HPs right now.. but you should limit your apps for a bit... let those TL's marinate 

-J

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.