Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice new to myfico

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice new to myfico

Hello everyone I just found out about this site so I signed up So im still new this this and to credit my transunion is 658 , Equifax is 651, experian says they can not generate a score for me until I have an account for at least 6 months or more I wanted the navy federal credit union secured card but I have no military background or no one in the family that is military so I applied for a secured card with discover and was approved for $200 credit limit back in September so my question is what should I do or what cards could I be approve for to improve my credit scores to be able to get good credit cards like Amex blue cash , chase freedom, Uber credit card etc.. ?
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice new to myfico

Our credit scores are very similar. While it means' something, its not everything. When was your most recent baddy (assumption on my part)? Have you had any inquiries recently? I was initially declined for Chase Freedom but I recon'd and am In a 2 week wait and see situation. I was also declined for Amex Blue Cash with recon yielding the same result. 

I was approved for BB&T Spectrum Rewards and NFCU Rewards. Combined SL 4500

Ideally you want 3 revolving (secured or unsecured) and 1 loan - auto, mortgage, credit builder, shared. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes have a few inquiries which is discover and chase but they’re all on transunion I have 0 hard inquires on Equifax and 0 hard inquiries on experian I had tried for the chase freedom but was denied they said I had no recent credit history that’s what brought my score down to the scores I have now I don’t think anything will approve me since I have only 2 months of credit history that’s with discover I keep my utilization down at least under 10 percent so my first month was at 6 percent utilization September, October was at 3 percent utilization and November I’m at 3 percent utilization
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome on the inquiry front. I'm not sure I'd go for Chase. I've read they want to see at least 1 year of credit history. I've got slighlty over 4.5 years and I might still get denied. Plus they've already denied you - did you recon? In terms of late payments, collections, charge offs, etc - anything on your report? Have you tried prequal sites? 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone I just found out about this site so I signed up So im still new this this and to credit my transunion is 658 , Equifax is 651, experian says they can not generate a score for me until I have an account for at least 6 months or more I wanted the navy federal credit union secured card but I have no military background or no one in the family that is military so I applied for a secured card with discover and was approved for $200 credit limit back in September so my question is what should I do or what cards could I be approve for to improve my credit scores to be able to get good credit cards like Amex blue cash , chase freedom, Uber credit card etc.. ?

My advice is as follows:

1.  Do not apply for any more credit until your current account has reported to Experian for 6 months and you're able to get credit scores from all three bureaus.

2.  You are new to credit which means your credit score should have started out at least at 670.  You're currently below 670 so you need to use your Discover card and pay it promptly which will help your scores recover from the penalties for inquiries and opening a new account.  That should take 3-6 months and you should wait until you hit 670 before making any other apps.  You absolutely don't want to be below 670 since that means small credit limits and high interest rates.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are new to credit ( I am assuming you are younger than older), then time is your friend. Pay on time, keep your UTL below 28.9% (even better if you keep it under 8.9%), follow the advice of great mentors on this site and your score should grow nicely. GL!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I’ve tried prequel sites for us bank but it says it has no offers I assume maybe I’m still to new to credit cause I only get credit scores from transunion, Equifax but experian says they can not generate a credit score for me until 6 months 😕
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really appreciate your advice because I do want to do good and start off right just new to credit so I have a lot to learn so far I only been buying wingstop lemon pepper wings on my discover secured card and I pay it back off in full
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you sir I hope to meet a lot of great mentors and new friends on this site I found out about this site when I was denied by chase for freedom card the lady told me to myfico and sign up so you can learn about how credit works so it intrigued me to sign up
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you understand right from the beginning that credit cards are not “free money” to buy things that you don’t have the money for yet you will have more knowledge than 85% of the people out there.

Use your cards as a convenience as opposed to carrying cash, and only buy on it what you can immediately pay off.

If you have not yet done so, start paying yourself EVERY paycheck! Build up a savings, first of 3 months worth of obligations, then build up to 6 months, and eventually a year’s worth. If you have this you have true security, and if for any reason you could not work for a year you would not be going into debt to live. GL!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.