Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on bizarre credit union situation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on bizarre credit union situation

I have multiple 30, 60, and 90 day late marks related to a credit union I used to deal with that has a single branch. These are for a credit card, car loan and a home equity line of credit. The balances are all at zero and paid off w/o any charge-offs or anything. But the payment history looks horrible. Looking for advice on how best to attack this. For sure, I was late on multiple occassions, but many times the payments I sent in to the branch would be deposited into my savings account, not applied to the proper loan, etc. In addition, the branch is/was extremely punitive with fees (cashing largest checks first to increase chances of bounced check fees, etc., and with the largest fees I ever heard of from a credit union). One of the accounts at zero also looks to have been reported as having gone to collections, but that's not true. It would be next to impossible to track down each payment and try to indicate which were not processed properly and which were my fault. And knowing how some of the employees are, not sure I would want to stir up a hornets nest. If I officially challenge everything through the bureaus, is there a chance it's just automated and spits it back as all true, or is it possible that this one-location credit union is not equipped to handle these types of requests and it goes more than 30 days w/o an answer. They certainly had the tech to report each late payment. I could call their board members, or I could call them up and ask nicely to have it all removed.      

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on bizarre credit union situation

When were these late payments?  Were they more recent or older?  If they were older, chances are they are having less of an affect on your scores.  Sure, they will have an affect but if the CU has not been updating these monthly, you could end up screwing your score by disputing.  If you dispute and they verify everything, then it will update the lates making them hurt your score more.  I would just GW the CU directly and see if they will remove the deragatories. 

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the accounts had prior reported lates and were then returned to pays as agreed for paid good-standing, as is stated in the post, then a dispute will not result in an update of the negative scoring impact of the lates.

Any update reported after an account is returned to good-standing will have a current non-delinquency status, such as pays as agreed if still open, or paid if closed.  Unlike an account that remains delinquent, any updated reporting will thus not extend the period since initial delinquency, and will not increase the negative payment history scoring impact.

Updated reporting only increases the negative scoring under payment history if it reports a continued delinquency status, and thus effectively updates the period of delinquency.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that seems like best course

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

If the accounts had prior reported lates and were then returned to pays as agreed for paid good-standing, as is stated in the post, then a dispute will not result in an update of the negative scoring impact of the lates.

Any update reported after an account is returned to good-standing will have a current non-delinquency status, such as pays as agreed if still open, or paid if closed.  Unlike an account that remains delinquent, any updated reporting will thus not extend the period since initial delinquency, and will not increase the negative payment history scoring impact.

Updated reporting only increases the negative scoring under payment history if it reports a continued delinquency status, and thus effectively updates the period of delinquency.

Oh thanks, I didn't realize that.  Hmm...makes me wonder if I should dispute my lates with Equifax then.  That account was paid off several years back.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So challenging late payments for an account at zero and paid off or open and in good standing does NOT exacerbate anything. But at the same time, you might get lucky. Is that the upshot?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So challenging late payments for an account at zero and paid off or open and in good standing does NOT exacerbate anything. But at the same time, you might get lucky. Is that the upshot?

That is what I am wanting to know.  I have a string of 120 day lates for an old credit card before the account was brought current and then fully paid off.  EQ is still reporting the lates while all the lates dropped off EX and TU with 7 years from DoFD (2011).  EQ seems to be dropping each late of month by month instead of dropping them from 7 years from DoFD.  If I can dispute these without being penalized for it if it comes back verifies, then I would totally be willing to do that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.